Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help Requested Digesting Orks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:09 pm 
Biomass

Hey everyone.
Long time lurker, infrequent poster.
I have an issue that I believe the greater Hive Mind would be very good in assisting with.

I am currently playing in a campaign with 3 other players, however the only one giving me a really hard time is the Ork player, who is proving fairly difficult to digest.
Ill give a brief rundown of the lists we each took in our last match up, and the problems he presents me and maybe you guys can help me eke out a victory against him.

My army: 1500pts
Combined Arms Detach
Flyrant w/ 2xTL Devs
3xZoanthrope (1 as neurothrope)
2xzoanthrope
3xHive guard W/ Impaler cannon
1xDakkafex W/ 2xTL Devs
1xDakkafex W/ 2xTL Devs
3xRippers W/ Deepstrike
3xRippers W/ Deepstrike
3xRippers W/ Deepstrike

Formation Detch
-=Living Artillery=-
3xWarriors (1 w/ Venom Cannon
1xExocrine
3xBiovore

~~~~~

Ork Army: 1500pts
1xWarboss in mega armour
18xChoppa Boys + 1xNob W/power claw
Battle wagon w/ 4x rockets 1xcannon

1xBig Mek W/ Force Field
18xChoppa Boys + 1xNob W/power claw
Battle wagon w/ 4x rockets 1xcannon

5xTank Bustas in trukk
5xTank Bustas in trukk
2xArtillery (str 8, AP2, Blast)
1xArtillery (skyfire, ?Str7?, ap2)
10x Grots
3xKilla Cans
3xOrk bikers
3xOrk bikers

I find he has too many vehicles for me to kill very well first turn, an with fast open topped vehicles he WILL be assaulting me second turn. mix that with the fact that he has aprox 20xRocket shots at str8 Ap2 and I loose a lot first turn... 2 zoans, a dakkafex, 2 wounds from the tyrant.
Mot of my vehicle kill comes in the form of Str 6 from the dakka fex and flyrant. (I have proven myself incapable of casting warp lance even when throwing 4 dice at it) but I only have enough str 6 to blow 1-2 vehicle a turn, and that means my major shooting is locked in combat turn two onward.

Any ideas on how to deal with this? I am coming up short.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Help Requested Digesting Orks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:40 am 
Little One

Hi Kazesama!

One of my long time friends is an avid Ork player and has just about everything available from GW to use, so I may be able to be of some assistance.

Ork vehicle spam is a terrifying prospect, it's a lot of boyz coming at you very quickly, and with 4 attacks each on the charge, that's a very dead whatever they happen to reach.

Now, my first bit of advice would be, go second if you can, this will allow your opponent to set up and, even better, move forward into range. Those Rokkits don't have a very long range on them, so you can use that to your advantage. Bring the Orks into your trap (going second will allow you to setup accordingly). Just make sure to have your important units in cover for some protection against any fire coming your way. a 5+ or 4+ is far better than no save at all!

Going through your list, I will come up with what they should be targetting:

Flyrant: play it safe with this guy, he's your main dude for wrecking things. You basically want that skyfire artillery gun gone before you have him in the air, cos those things will most likely take 2 wounds out of you (1 for the actual shot itself, one for hitting the ground). This chap can target pretty much anything in your opponent's list. Rear of battlewagons, anywhere on trukks and the Cans are good for taking on too. He'll also be good for chasing and gunning down those pesky Ork bikers.

Zoanthropes: 3+ inv can go a long way and I can bet they're a damn good fire magnet. With nothiung dead, you'll have a minimum of 7 warp charges to throw about and a max of 12. Throw 5 or even 6 dice into warp lance to remove any ork vehicle being thrown at you. Depending on your other powers, you might not even want to cast anything else anyway. Your flyrant with warp blast can be hilarious fun for the opportunity to pop 2 vehicles a turn (lance and devs).

Hive Guard: Never used them myself, but taht strenght 8 will pop trukks all day every day. Like I said, let the Orks get in range of you, put your Guard in cover if possible, there are bigger, jucier targets for the Orks to be dealing with.

Dakkafex: Same as flyrant only slower of course. Keep em in synapse so they don't recklessly charge stuff and lose their ability to shoot. Again, they'll pop Trukks, kill boyz, bikers etc all day. Hell, charge a unit of bikers if they stray too close! Having 2 single dakkafex is really versatile, meaning you can pop the transport with one and gib the boyz with the other.

Rippers: Play them gung-ho and deepstrike straight for those big guns hiding at the back! deepstrike them so close they dare not risk firing into them, then charge and laugh as grots get eaten quite happily by your little gribblies. Great for dropping on objectives too of course, but your primary target are those guns, namely the skyfire one.

Living Artillery Node:
Warriors: Keep them secret, keep them safe. Basically make sure they aren't getting shot and you'll have some nice back field synapse than can provide some decent firepower and assault where necessary.

Exocrine: This guy will be the one to melt the warboss into soup. Pop his wagon with other things (eg dakkatyrant/thropes), kill the boyz via mass shooting (anything else really) and then fire all 6 shots into him. Stay still for that juicy BS4! Like I say, lead the orks into you, don't go chasing and enjoy them falling into your traps. (bad rolls unaccounted for of course!) Failing that, panning trukks all day long, or the kans, will be this chap's job.

Biovores: Ain't gonna do diddly squat tille you pop those transports! Until then however, fire em at the big guns in the back, raining mines on them, you might get lucky at some point and it'll make the ripper's job easier if you kill some of the crew. Once the transports are gone, the orks are easy targets for these guys. Hide them well out of sight to keep them alive.

And I think that's it really. This is all theoretical of course and doesn't account for luck going either way, but most of your army can happily remove a vehicle by itself every turn. Some lucky rolling and your opponent will be slogging it all the way.

Good luck Kazesama! May the Hive Mind guide you against the Green Tide!

Cheers,
Iron Nid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:40 pm 
Medium One

A lot of what Iron Nid said. I can vouch for the Hive Guard/Biovore combo. We have an ork player in our group, and he specifically brings trukks to try and avoid spore mines as much as possible.

Hive Guard can pop trukks all day as long as they're in range. No LoS and Ignores Cover is wonderful. Once the boyz are out, rain spore mines down on them. =)

I'd be interested to see how a Sporocyst would work vs. Orks. Having spore mines show up every turn vs. Orks is nothing to scoff at. A mucolid could also pop a trukk with ease.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:31 am 
Biomass

Thanks for the input guys.
I will see if i can swing things in my favor a bit next match, which should be sometime next week as I'm playing the chaos player tonight. It sounds like target priority is my main issue. I need to focus on popping a vehicle until its gone, then follow up with killing whats inside. The issue i ran into was that I would pop 1 or 2 vehicles but by that point he was already up pretty far and would just assault me the next turn. Also, luck does play a major role is suppose. theres no accounting for dice as we say in my group. Sometimes it hurts when he fires 6 rocket shots from a unit to hit with 4 of them, but thems the way the dice rolls.

I will update after my next Ork match-up and we'll see if i can turn the (green) tide.

P.S. Tyrannofexes, are they much good? having the only 2+save in the codex they wouldn't fear rockets nearly as much, and their flame template could be good for roasting guys before they even get out of their open topped transports.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:47 pm 
Little One

Tyrannofex are pretty good from my experience. Personally I only upgrade my Tyrannofex, Tiny Tom, with a thorax swarm, keeping him reasonably cheap and able to do a number on open topped transports with 2 flamer templates! Hilariously in my last game, Tiny Tom one-shotted a deff dread that charged him (that should by all means have murdered him), though he was left with one wound. Toughness 6 with 6 wounds and a 2+ is great, add a cover save to him, even better, cast FNP on him and your opponent will be throwing everything they have at him just out of frustration. Anything with a 4+ or worse save is toast against an acid spray tyrannofex! Just, try to tie up anything that wants to charge him with Termagants or something, he ain't good in combat.

Good luck with your games!
Cheers,

Iron Nid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:53 pm 
Medium One

kazesama wrote:

P.S. Tyrannofexes, are they much good? having the only 2+save in the codex they wouldn't fear rockets nearly as much, and their flame template could be good for roasting guys before they even get out of their open topped transports.

Tyrannofexes for everyone else are great; tyrannofexes for me roll 1's for armour saves all the time. Don't get infected with 1-itis, it will kill your tyrannofex fast. =)