Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Grand Tournament Preps: first use of Formations?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:26 am 
Harpy

After a roughly 6-month real-life induced break from playing, I'm gearing up for the FLGS' "Hammer in the New Year" Grand Tournament the third weekend in January. Here's the blurb for the tournament:
Code:
Huzzah Hobbies' Hammer in the New Year Grand Tournament
Huzzah Hobbies will be hosting a Grand Tournament on January 23-24, 2016. This will be a 5 round 32 player event.

Format - This event will be 1850 points and will be using ITC Format and FAQ.
The ITC Format can be found here: https://www.frontlinegaming.org/community/frontline-gamings-independent-tournament-circuit/itc-2015-season-40k-tournament-format/

The ITC FAQ can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NkfW26mcJHaqDKlaZyA3PB-prM0k17-DuTifGv2mOG4/pub

The event will have 32 players and  will be 5 rounds. 3 on Saturday, 2 on Sunday.

Two months should be enough time to get my act together, buy/assemble/paint models as necessary, and actually make the mythical "fluffy yet competitive" tyranid army. That said, I'm not willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money to make that happen, so I'm not going to invest in a whole squadron of harpies or tyrannocytes just to jump on the bandwagon.

I have not indulged in using tyranid formations yet (way behind on this), so I've been slavishly attached to the single combined arms detachment the last many times I've played. The easiest formations I've seen that aren't complete road trash are:

* Living artillery node: my previous tyrannofex was a kitbashed carnifex, so I can easily claim it to "count as" an exocrine; I would need to buy the three biovores, which have been on my wishlist for a long time anyway. This seems pretty decent, although the benefit doesn't help the exocrine as much since it only works on the large blast (and she's much shorter range anyway, combined with the restriction of being in the synapse range of the warriors).

* Endless swarm: I have to models to make this happen, but I am slow enough with my moves that I don't want to set myself up for failure by having a horde army. Also, the extra kill points for my opponent may not be a good idea depending on the scenario and scoring.

* Skytyrant Swarm: I also have the models for this, and I've been desperate for at least the last two codexes to field a functional flying melee tyrant. I'm curious if anyone out there in gestalt-land has tried this formation, and how much of a penalty the majority T3 was for joining the flyrant to the gargoyles.

I'll leave the question there and add on as I refine my ideas for a coherent list. Right now I'm just trying to pare down the clearly bad options so I can build from there.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Post subject: Re: Grand Tournament Preps: first use of Formations?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:48 pm 
Zoatibix

I've also decided to put together a small Skytyrant Swarm. It seems to have some flaws, according to the internet chatter, but I still want to do it for the cool factor.

My Google-Fu is pretty weak, but here are some discussions of this that I've come across:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17903
http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thr ... oing-wrong
http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thr ... rant-swarm
http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thr ... m-question
http://battlebrotherswh40k.blogspot.ca/ ... ation.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KLReqimdeI

While I'm thinking about this, if anyone out there (especially in Canada) has 5 metal gargoyles that they'd be willing to sell. These ones...

[Open in new window]

...please PM me. I have Paypal and a willingness to pay a reasonable price. :)

Last edited by HiveFleetManticore on Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:49 pm 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:00 pm 
Harpy

PolishSwarm wrote:
Grand tournament is not a place for fluffy lists. Your list needs to be competitive if don't want to lose all Your games in shame. All formations You have mentioned are total garbage, especially skytyrant swarm. The best tyranid formations are: skyblight swarm and sporefield. Deathleaper assassin brood would be good if deathleaper wasn't mandatory.

Overall tyranid faction is not very competitive one. We have very unbalanced codex with lots of overpriced weak units and army special rule (synapse and IB) that is a major disadvantage at the very start.

Competitive list is composed of CAD+HFD and looks like flyrant spam (4-5 hive tyrants with wings and 2 sets of devourers and ESG template), mucolid spam, rippers with deepstrike, venomthrope, mawlocs, maybe lictors, maybe hive crones and imperial bastion with comms relay. You may also include sporefield formation as third source.

Forget about CC nids, this is the worst idea to play tyranids in GT. I don't recommend swarm army as well. FMCs spam is the most effective way to play tyranids, but it has some serious issues like mealstroms.

Appreciate the candid advice, and well put...there does seem to be a limited number of viable competitive builds in the Codex as it stands. It pains me to go down the road of the all-flying-MCs, because that seems to be what all of the local tyranid players do (...and with good reason, of course, grumble...).

Skyblight is probably out of reach; I'm not sure I want to drop the $$ on the two harpies it would take to fill out the minimum formation. The sporefield looks intensely annoying, although I don't have any mucolid spores (is there a way to buy them independently, or do you have to get them with the tyrannocyte kit?). Either way, DS rippers are among my favorites (broods of 7 with spinefists and poison are expensive but create deeply unhappy thoughts in most opponents), and a mawloc will be doable.

I'm somewhat over venomthropes...there are so many ways to ignore cover that I find them completely negated in the last couple games I played; this doesn't make me too sad since they also slow down the flyers to unacceptable levels.

Although I can't stomach fielding a bastion with Nids, I'm thinking a Nid-themed aegis defense line with a comms relay could fill the same niche, and would be a little easier to make thematically appropriate. Have to talk to the TO about "counts-as" defense line and how it could be constructed (same length, height, etc).

I'm curious about the Flyrant with 2x Dev (obvious) and electrostat grubs (when is it ever going to be useful on a swooping flyer?).

Again, thanks, and keep the thoughts coming. I get the individual effectiveness of the units mentioned, but I don't see the overall way in which they operate together (other than just zinging around the battlefield shooting Devs and pulling mawloc deepstrikes until all the bad guys are dead). Is there any proven way to take/hold/contest maelstrom objectives from ObSec opponents?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:46 pm 
Biotitan

I've had tournament success with the Hypertoxic Node and the Promethium Relay Pipes. Even if you don't take advantage of the Pipes with the Pyrovore Brood to give it Torrent, the Pipes grant a 4+ cover save that rarely backfires on you (6s on Cover Saves require an additional d6 die roll for each 6; 1s result in a Pipe explosion back at you). I've had the backfire happen twice in over 50 cover save rolls behind them; low risk, high reward. It's also much cheaper than a Bastion and can extend in multiple two-part sections within your deployment zone.

While I respect the fact Ignores Cover is prevalent nowadays, the Hypertoxic Node still has its benefits. I equip the Tyrant in the formation with Wings, Reaper of Obliterax and Miasma Cannon, which also garners the ID rule on its profile as it's Poisoned. The three units of Venomthropes (I always do minimum broods here) can split apart along your Relay Pipes to get their Cover Saves to 2+. Great if you're going second and superb if you intend to have ranged units camping behind it for a fire line while the rest of your army advances forward.

I think you should have all the models for the Hypertoxic Node, with only the Toxicrene possibly missing from your collection. The Relay Pipes are pretty inexpensive, too. A CAD to round out the army coupled with any of the other three Formations you mentioned in your first post would work. In fact, I would lean towards the Living Artillery Node in concert with the Relay Pipes. And you can totally niddify them as methane extractors from the earth if theming is a concern.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:39 pm 
Big One

I'm running a fairly fun ITC legal list right now, which mixes some fun yet effective units together without going overboard on flyrants.

Regular CAD
Flyrant 1 - warlord. devourers and e-grubs
Flyrant 2 - warlord. devourers and e-grubs
1 Malanthrope (ITC permits forgeworld, and malanthropes are flat out better than vthropes)
18 Gaunts - 9 Devourers
18 Gaunts - 8 Devourers
3 Mawlocs

Second CAD
1 Flyrant
2 Mucolids

Deathleaper Assassin Brood
Deathleaper
5 solo lictors

This does pretty well with maelstrom objectives, and you can have lots of fun with the Lictors and mawlocs comboing off each other. The Malanthrope and gaunt squads provide something obvious and a little wasteful for your opponent to attack, while also throwing some cheap obsec bodies on your home bases who can also soak up a lot of fire just by being shrouded. Keep them in ruins and the malanthrope out of LOS if possible. If they get attacked by podding marines etc, the hidden devourers in each squad can do quite a bit of damage.

I need to remember to avoid doing anything too exciting with the lictors. Best plan is just to pop up where they can score hard to reach maelstrom points and disrupt enemy plans while staying alive. You can also infiltrate one or two, creating a trap by the gaunts allowing you to gobble up units that assault them.