Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1500 (well, 1495) point casual list
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:35 pm 
Little One

So I cooked this one up in about 20 minutes or so. Some of these are models I already own and am in the process of painting. In some cases they are early enough that they can be re-equipped (in the case of the Hive Tyrant I'm actually utilizing pins and blu-tac to make his weapons interchangeable, as I'm too cheap for magnets). These will be in yellow. Models that are already too far along to be altered will be in red. That's not to say I can't swap them out, it just means I'll have to relegate them to display purposes.

1500 point Tyranid Army List

HQ:

Hive Tyrant with wings, Miasma Cannon, Lash Whip and Bonesword, The Norn Crown, Acid Blood, Dessicator Larvae and Regeneration: 320 points.

Troops:

20 Termagants: 80 points.

20 Hormagaunts with Toxin Sacs: 160 points.

Elites:

3 Venomthropes: 135 points.

2 Zoanthropes and 1 Neurothrope: 175 points.

Fast Attack:

30 Gargoyles: 180 points.

Heavy Support:

Mawloc: 140 points.

Carnifex with Heavy Venom Cannon and Thresher Scythe: 150 points.

Tyrannocyte (for Carnifex): 75 points.

Thoughts? I'm worried it's low on Synapse myself.

Post subject: Re: 1500 (well, 1495) point casual list
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:52 am 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:28 am 
Great Devourer

Quote:

Yes, that would be my biggest worry too. I find myself running out of synapse all the time with a flyrant and two broods of zoanthropes at 1500 points.

Is the flyrant loaded up to use up points or for the cool factor? If it is to make up the points to get you to 1500, then you may as well keep them, they are better than nothing. But you could lose most of the biomorphs and be just as effective when you want those points for something else.

The tail weapon on the carnifex is the same. If you've got the points to burn then they are fine. But if you can think of another use, then really you should treat the scythe tail as decoration and buy something else. ;)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:33 am 
Little One

Yaleling wrote:
Quote:

Yes, that would be my biggest worry too. I find myself running out of synapse all the time with a flyrant and two broods of zoanthropes at 1500 points.

Is the flyrant loaded up to use up points or for the cool factor? If it is to make up the points to get you to 1500, then you may as well keep them, they are better than nothing. But you could lose most of the biomorphs and be just as effective when you want those points for something else.

The tail weapon on the carnifex is the same. If you've got the points to burn then they are fine. But if you can think of another use, then really you should treat the scythe tail as decoration and buy something else. ;)

The Scythe Tail on he 'fex is mostly because I bought him in 4th edition when it was still a good use of points...Yeah, I should probably just have it as decoration.

As for the heavy amount of biomorphs on the flyrant, I loaded him up because I wanted a big scary "deathstar" unit, though now I think about it I may have overdone it slightly. I was going for the "templant" build which has been making the rounds recently, albeit severely boosted. What do you think I should ditch?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 pm 
Great Devourer

Squigsquasher wrote:
The Scythe Tail on he 'fex is mostly because I bought him in 4th edition when it was still a good use of points...Yeah, I should probably just have it as decoration.
Me too. 3 of my carnifexes have them for the same reason. The problem for me is when I do have a few lazy points I forget to use the tail weapon anyhow. :P But I have had some success with carnifex with heavy venom cannon and either twin-linked deathspitters (same cost as what you have now), or for an extra 10 points, the brainleach twin devourers.
PolishSwarm is correct, they aren't super competitive, but occasionally I like the long range anti-tank and the extra shootiness is useful against backfield deep strikers/infiltators.

Squigsquasher wrote:
As for the heavy amount of biomorphs on the flyrant, I loaded him up because I wanted a big scary "deathstar" unit, though now I think about it I may have overdone it slightly. I was going for the "templant" build which has been making the rounds recently, albeit severely boosted. What do you think I should ditch?
The Norn Crown, Acid Blood, and Regeneration will rarely (if ever) justify the cost of their inclusion.
I hate to say it (becasue I think they look the business) but I'd think hard about the Lash Whip and Bonesword too. Swooping is what keeps flyrants alive, and those points and bio-weapon 'slot' could go into a ranged weapon for when the thorax template is out of range. Mounting brainleach twin-linked devourers would give you some credible ant-aircraft fire. And since you'd only have 1 ranged weapon that could hurt/hit them, that just encourages you to vector stike flyers and then shoot 'em up with your 360 degree S6 devourer shots. :)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:14 pm 
Little One

Yaleling wrote:
Squigsquasher wrote:
Me too. 3 of my carnifexes have them for the same reason. The problem for me is when I do have a few lazy points I forget to use the tail weapon anyhow. :P But I have had some success with carnifex with heavy venom cannon and either twin-linked deathspitters (same cost as what you have now), or for an extra 10 points, the brainleach twin devourers.
PolishSwarm is correct, they aren't super competitive, but occasionally I like the long range anti-tank and the extra shootiness is useful against backfield deep strikers/infiltators.

Right. TBH I was thinking of nixing the 'Fex for something else. I actually have 2 other Carnifexes (1 Screamer Killer and 1 with a Stranglethorn Cannon, Crushing Claws and Bio-Plasma) but I'm not sure I'd use them either...I only picke dthe Venomfex because he was the closest to being fully painted. :lol: Maybe a second Mawloc would be a better choice?
Yaleing wrote:
Squigsquasher wrote:
The Norn Crown, Acid Blood, and Regeneration will rarely (if ever) justify the cost of their inclusion.
I hate to say it (becasue I think they look the business) but I'd think hard about the Lash Whip and Bonesword too. Swooping is what keeps flyrants alive, and those points and bio-weapon 'slot' could go into a ranged weapon for when the thorax template is out of range. Mounting brainleach twin-linked devourers would give you some credible ant-aircraft fire. And since you'd only have 1 ranged weapon that could hurt/hit them, that just encourages you to vector stike flyers and then shoot 'em up with your 360 degree S6 devourer shots. :)

Hmm. I was wondering if I was overdoing it with the Acid Blood and the Regeneration. I figured the Norn Crown would be good because EXTRA SYNAPSE RANGE WOOOOO but it is very, very expensive.

In any case, I'll give the list an overhaul.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:54 pm 
Little One

OK, so, here's what I've cut the list down to with a bit of editing.

HQ:

Hive Tyrant with Wings, Miasma Cannon, Twin-Linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms and Dessicator Larvae: 225 points.

Troops:

20 Hormagaunts with Toxin Sacs: 160 points.

Elites:

3 Venomthropes: 135 points.

2 Zoanthropes and 1 Neurothrope: 175 points.

Fast Attack:

30 Gargoyles: 180 points.

Heavy Support:

Mawloc: 140 points.

The question is, what to spend the extra 320 points freed up by the loss of the biomorphs and the Carnifex on?

I have a few ideas.

Option 1: 5 Shrikes with 4 Deathspitters and 1 Barbed Strangler (180 points) and another Mawloc (140 points).]

Option 2: Hive Crone (155 points) and 3 Hive Guard (165 points).

Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:16 am 
Little One