Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HiveFleetOda tagging back in!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:46 am 
Mawloc Prime

So it's been about 14 months since I've touched a model. It would have been longer, but a store opened up 2 miles away from my house. TWO MILES! How could I resist that?

So I eased back in with their weekly "Saturday Night Slaughter": 6 people to a table, 2x2 deployment zones, 500 points (1+ Troop, 0-1 every other slot; you can only take any unit once), six turns, whoever has the most points left wins. The store is mostly Imperial Players so they did not know how to handle Tyranids.

First time I played:
Deathleaper
5 Genestealers
3 Lictors
1 Mawlok

They were terrified of the whole army infiltrating/not starting on the table.
They were terrified when the Deathleaper took down the Riptide (who takes a Riptide in 500 points?)

Second time I played:
1 Tyranid Prime with Reaper of Obliterix and Scything Talons
30 Hormagaunts
1 Mawlok

The Wraitlord thought he could bully my Strength 3 Hormagaunts, but the Prime one shotted him, and again they were terrified.

Third time I played:
1 Tyranid Prime with Reaper of Obliterix and Scything Talons
30 Hormagaunts
3 Zoenthropes

For some reason everyone took Rhinos and Razobacks and other light transports; they were terrified of my Zoentrhopes after all their light transports exploded.

So they are starting a map campaign next month, so I was gonna join, but I feel like I'm cheating with the list I've devised

It's a 250 point starting campaign, wins get you more points in different detachment slots. For example, on week we are fighting on a planet that give you Heavy Support, the winner gets 100 points of HS to add to their army, loser gets 50 points if he has any models left on the table, 25 points if you get tabled.

The list composition is only 1 Troop, which is required, 0-1 HQ, nothing else is allowed starting.
My go to choice of Hormagaunts is useless as I need synapse, and the cheapest HQ synapse starts at 125 naked... literally half my points. Warriors are lacking, Genestealers suck. I was almost out of ideas on what to use and was just gonna run another army for the campaign.... when insidious intervention jumped into my mind.

250 Campaign List:
1 Mucloid Spore
1 Hive Tyrant with Wings, Scything Talons, Electroshock Grubs, Miasma Cannon

Am I a bad person?

Post subject: Re: HiveFleetOda tagging back in!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:45 pm 
Little One

HiveFleetOda wrote:
Am I a bad person?

Good? Bad? You're the one with the miasma cannon. Do it :twisted:

"The Call of Cthulhu" (Lovecraft, 1928)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:13 am 
Big One

With Tyranids its really hard to get a "fair" list at this points because everything in HQ is pretty expensive.

I think i would look at the local gaming group. Do they tend to play the hardest possible combo┬┤s or are the going for fluffy
armies. And then i would decide on my list.

Flyrant + Mucolid sounds really sick, they will kick XXX, the looks on anybodies faces might be worth fielding this list.

I think i would get a Warrior Prime + Termagants with devourers and my be some Hormagaunts.

About the campaign:

Do you have to keep your starting list during the whole campaign?
Or are you allowed to change that one?

When you win a game and get 100 Pt for HS, do you keep that permanently?
Or only for that one game?

harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:22 pm 
Mawloc Prime

1) You keep your build.... Frozen lists, published on a chalk board spray painted garage door for everyone to see.

2) Once you have points won you can spend them immediately or hold them on the same planet on the map. If you spend them you keep whatever it is you buy; if you hold them in order to buy something you need more points for, i.e.: I win 100, but I want a Mawlok next, I save it and play the same world again. If I loose the subsequent battle, I loose my bank and get the loser's share of 50 or 25 instead; loser's share is only lost if you leave the planet before spending it.

So you can stay on the planet and continue to loose and squeeze out water you want over 4-6 rounds, or hedge you bets somewhere else where you might have an easier chance of winning.

It does not sound very balanced so I don't know how it will play out.

As for play styles, these guys were squeezing in Riptide and Wraith Knights and Gorkanaughts and Battle Wagons in 500 point lists. They are thoroughly into the biggest and the strongest. I've been playing fluffy lists and coming in 1st or 2nd.

Cfoolhu wrote:
Good? Bad? You're the one with the miasma cannon. Do it
in case you didn't know, Army of Darkness series starts on Halloween!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:23 am 
Great Devourer

Tag!
Nice work terrorising the prey mate. :)

And although the prey won't appreciate it, I think you made a most reasonable choice you could have. Anything other than a hive tyrant would gimp yourself for the rest of the campaign. As Harald said, our Tyranids get weird at low points. :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 am 
Biotitan

HiveFleetOda wrote:

250 Campaign List:
1 Mucloid Spore
1 Hive Tyrant with Wings, Scything Talons, Electroshock Grubs, Miasma Cannon

Am I a bad person?

Hmmm i would got for:

Hive Tyrant, Wings. 2 x Devourers
2 x 1 Mucolid

They can't bring a Landraider on this point costs and anything else should be no problem with 12 shots S6

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/