Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Feed me! Hide! Run! Synapse-free Kill Team rosters
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:22 pm 
Hatchling

Well, my local club has taken a fondness to Kill Team games recently, drawing out a few 40k players who had gone underground to hide from Imperial Knights and robot-croissants.

Synapse is expensive. Synapse is also pretty squishy when it isn't on a 4 wound, toughness 6 monstrous creature. With the specifics of Kill Team in mind and the three Instinctive Behavior tables at hand, I sat down and wrote a couple lists to try.

Kill team restrictions: No models with more than 3 wounds, no summoning. 0-2 Troops, 0-1 Elites, 0-1 Fast Attack. AV limits are in place, so I can find squishy rear armor.

List 1:
Venomthrope
12 Hormagaunts with Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs
6 Spore Mines

I brought this list to bear against a Skitarii Kill Team and was very proud of the 2 kills I managed before being tabled. While each of their infantry could kill a gaunt, BS7 turn one and BS 6 turn 2 meant that only one shot had missed. Lessons learned: spore mines are of no use without deepstrike; elite gaunts don't work without synapse; venomthrope cover doesn't do much against Ignores Cover snipers.

List 2:
Venomthrope
19 Hormagaunts
10 Gargoyles

This swarm came with a ridiculous number of dice rolls a turn - 30 Leadership checks on Ld6 a turn, and then Instinctive Behavior tests on those who failed.
Hormagaunts at worst can't run if they fail a test, and at best get Rage while in charge range. The Venomthrope will literally run off the table on a low roll, and so is a serious gamble. The Gargoyles will typically stay at shooting range, or will be Gone to Ground (how does that work for a legless creature?), though a lucky IB test will give them Preferred Enemy.

They faced against some Dark Eldar - a Venom with grisly trophies, some warriors and some wracks. I played this game extremely laid back and it was still looking grim for the pirates. I'm pretty sure we went overtime with the game, simply playing things out until one of us got tabled. While it was pretty cinematic watching waves of tyranids crash into their enemy, it was an extremely tedious game, and I don't think it was too much fun for my opponent to sit through. I ultimately was tabled after the 15 casualty threshold was met for bottle checks.

Just thought I'd throw this nugget of information out there - no Synapse/Instinctive Overdrive Kill Team lists can be effective with a swarm, but far from efficient with time. In a timed environment, I do not recommend them; save it for a beer & pretzels laugh against your buddy's Space Marines.

Next time: Lictors!

Post subject: Re: Feed me! Hide! Run! Synapse-free Kill Team rosters
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:25 pm 
Great Devourer

Thanks for that StealthVulture. :)
I've been keen to try the latest (I can't call them new any more) Kill Team rules out. Lack of synapse horrifies me so I've enjoyed hearing how you cope with it/ get around it.

I was relieved when the first Kill Team rules were modified after a while to allow tyranids to ignore instinctive behaviour.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/