Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet names...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 pm 
Hatchling

After finding a lot of the good names are IG tanks I decided upon Hive Fleet Grendel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:19 am 
Biomass

Hive fleet tattybojangles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 am 
Biomass

Mine is Hive Fleet Falak.

The name comes from Arabian mythology, specifically, the legend of Bahamut. Falak is a powerful serpent that lives under the Realm of Fire and, according to the myth, only its fear of the greater power of Allah keeps it from rising and swallowing all of creation whole.

A great serpent that seeks to devour all of creation just seemed fitting for a Hive Fleet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 am 
Hatchling

Indeed. Good one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:57 am 
Little One

Hive Fleet Goliath, named after the giant of ancient legend. Also it sounded cool, and went well with the Tyranid Hive Fleet naming theme of "Pretty Freakin' Enormous".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 pm 
Biomass

I've spent an inordinate amount of time looking for cool names that would fit with the fluff naming convention (mythical monsters with a lean towards sea monsters and serpents), so I'll share them all here :) I've specifically avoided any that were mentioned in the codex (which made me sad because I had been going to use Charybdis - A sea monster that creates whirlpools to drag you down to your doom.) Haven't decided what I'll go with yet, though >.>

Isonade - A sea monster from Japanese myth that's similar to a shark and uses it's hooked tail to snag sailors and drag them underwater. Somewhat appropriate as it's a sea monster that surprises and kills people.

Nidhogg - A dragon from Norse mythology that gnaws on the root of the world tree. ...as the tyranids could be said to be gnawing on the roots of the galaxy...

Bakunawa - A dragon or huge sea serpent from Philippine mythology that eats the moon. For the noms.

Adamastor - A mythological character from portugal that was used as a representation of the dangers of the ocean and the unknown. Fitting for the 'nids, especially with the shadow of the warp.

Yacu-mama - A sea monster from South America that lives near the mouth of the Amazon River and sucks up any living thing that passes nearby. Also for the noms.

Linnorm, lindorm, or lindworm - Means serpent or dragon in various languages, typically wingless and venomous. It's a gigantic venomous serpent, and I just think the name sounds cool, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:53 pm 
Biomass

First Post

Hi, I'm Dan from Alberta Canada.

I'm the Hive Mind behind Hive Fleet Wormwood

Here's a taste

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:06 am 
Biomass

Think I Finally settled on one.

TerroNox
or TerraNox.
Still deciding which ones sound better.
Means Night Terror

Going with all black with colored highlights on chitin and claws with bright green eyes.
Thinking on having different colors for different unit types.
lich purple(or whatever it is called now) for synapse creatures. dark blue for gaunts. green for ygmarls. orange for MCs except Tyrant.
Also want to use a grey wash to give more definition and use some clear coat to give them shine and protection.
haven't used a wash before or a protective coating so will need to look up some vids on how it's done.

Having this strain come from a digestion of an ash world similar to Nocturne giving them their newer colors.
The preferred tactic is striking at night were they blend in.
Defenders look out into the night and see millions of bright eyes starring back hungrily, waiting to devour them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 pm 
Biomass

First post! Might as well start here with a Hive Fleet name/description. :P

Hive Fleet Mellivora
"Hive Fleet don't care! Hive Fleet doesn't give a [REDACTED]! It just takes what it wants!"
- Last transmission from planet Ratel, Capensis system, by Astropath Randall, several hours before planetfall of Hive Fleet Mellivora. Summarily executed by Regimental Commissar shortly after for signs of warp madness induced by the phenomenon known as the "Shadow in the Warp".

Colour Scheme
Silver-Grey Carapace with Black Flesh

Post subject: I have chosen a fleet name. Hive fleet Devoratrix
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:56 am 
Hatchling

I searched for some names, currently there are no search results for hive fleet Devoratrix, so as far as I know, I am the first to claim that name for my fleet.

It's Latin for devourer.

Google

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:25 pm 
Biomass

Hive Fleet Tiamet.
For those who don't know there is actually fluff behind them in 3rd edition.

From the codex:
TIAMET, M35
Tiamet was the name given to a large double binary system on the eastern fringe in M35 by an Explorator fleet. Tiamet was remarkable in that it contained no less than seven large life-sustaining worlds and a host of lesser planetoids. Explorators discovered to their cost that every biosphere in the system was a death world of the most voracious kind.
Whether the prevailing climate was jungle, ice or desert or even airless rocks, a host of dangerous life forms swarmed, multiplied and warred each other with an uncanny intelligence which united against Man's intrusion with deadly results. Xenologists eventually determined that the life all over the system shared common ancestry and had developed various ways to get from world to world to seed new territory.
Realizing their own craft would be contaminated entering the system by now, the Explorators quarantined themselves in Tiamet. They were to survive for another hundred and sixty two hours before succumbing to the lethal denizens of that fecund realm. Tiamet was systematically fusion bombed on several occasions but life was never extinguished there; it now lies within the area swept over by Hive Fleet Kraken and such its fate is unkown.
Most theories about Tiamet place it as an implant-probe, believing that some kind of Tyranid seed, possibly molecular-coded DNA, is responsible. By some means (perhaps cosmic derbies or solar winds) the Tyranid seed was introduced to the system and spread of its own accord to form its own rudimentary Hive Mind and predatory ecosystem. It is now believed the Genestealer was introduced to the moons of Ymgarl from Tiamet, carried inside the hulls of the vessels that had been sent to destroy them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:35 am 
Biomass

Hive fleet, Acari
this is the species classification for mites and ticks subclass of arachnids and arthropods.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:35 am 
Broodling

Hive Fleet Crateris

Named after my fictional Crateris-Starcluster from where the hive Fleet emerged and is influenced by absorbed genes of my fictional alien race, the Cydo.
Background:

A tendril of Leviathan infested the Crateris-Starcluster, a system of verious densed stars. This Starcluster is a bit off from Leviathan's estimated route, but a strong presence of biomass justified a tendril to get split of for Harvest. One of the first worlds falling victim was Cyranon, ex-homeworld of the extinct believed Cydo, which exist mainly as particles that have traits of DNA. That means Cydo-DNA is a form energy with DNA-traits and able to manifest in bilogical, technological and cyborgenical ways.
Fossilized/conserved/old Biomatter, that were used by Cydo as they still lived on the planet, was found and aborbed by the swarm, giving it now new abilities of bioengineering.

Due hard and crippling attacks from the Imperium, Eldar and Necrons at the early days of this split fleet, forced the swarm to engage unusual tactics for survival, as reinforcements from Leviathan are for the moment deemed as ineffective.
The swarm made a retreat to the most far away star, Zeta-Crateris and the most Hive ships >landed< in the oceans of the fourth planet. The entire planet is undergoing currently a massive Tyranoformation of unseen scale. The planet self is small, even smaller than Mars, with around 5500km in diameter. All biomatter that the fleet is getting are transoported ONTO the planet. Not off. Trygons and other biconstructs are driving deep tunnels into the plant, even to the core of it and a strange carpet of tyranic bio-materia starts to cover the surface.
The idea: to shape the greatest bio-vessel ever seen in the galaxy (up till now) for the purpose of collecting, storing and transporting biomass in new scales. The Nornqueen of the swarm is now located in the underground caverns of the planet. With use of Cydo-Genes are bioconstructs made which will be able to generate a warpfield to move the planet, similiar in a way Zoanthropes move. Giant Progenitor-chambers are breeding on new ships to be ejaculated into space upon maturity.
The planet is yet not ready to move on it's own yet and is currently in a phase of where 40% of it are Tyranoformated for it's purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:10 pm 
Big One

Yeah this fluff sounds cool. Somehow reminds me of something filmed in the late 70ies 8-)
hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm 
Little One

After much deliberation my Hive Fleet is now called Giwakwa as my army consists of a large number of genestealers.

Giwakwas (or Kee-wakw) are the evil man-eating ice giants of southern Wabanaki legends. According to most legends, a Giwakwa was once a human being who either became possessed by an evil spirit or committed a terrible crime (especially cannibalism or withholding food from a starving person), causing his heart to turn to ice. In some Abenaki legends, the stone giants (Asinikiwakw) were not transformed humans but primordial man-eating monsters, defeated by the culture hero Gluskabe.

This transformation story I felt was fitting for my army of 80+ genestealers and I have also used this story as the basis for the background for my Genestealer Cult who are composed of individuals with cannibalistic tendencies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next