Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet names...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:54 am 
Hatchling

I went with Hive Fleet Latrodectus.

It's the family of arachnids that include black widow spiders. As my color scheme is gloss black with red accents, it seemed a good fit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:04 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

oooh, I like that!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:05 am 
Medium One

I called my fleet Pallas. In greek mythology, Pallas was the giant that's skin was the essence of Aegis, the shield that would freeze anything with fear. This fits my hive fleet splinter appropriately as its job is to frighten the enemy before the actual hive fleet ship arrives. They scare the enemy so as they would to weaken their defenses, much like the deathleaper's fluff with Cardinal Salem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:30 pm 
Biomass

My previous Hivefleet was called Tartarus - the plain of the wandering dead in Greek Mythology. However, it seemed a little passive as a name, so I had a wander through various mythical sea creatures in keeping with the crablike-aquatic colour scheme. Alas, it turns out that GW have used most of them, so I cast my net a little wider. I considered Juggernaut but eventually went back to Norse mythology and - thinking about consumption - settled on the wolf that will eat the sun to signal Ragnarok, the end of the universe. I'm still not happy with the sound of it, but I do like the ramifications...

Hivefleet Skoll.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:20 am 
Biomass

Hive fleet Bahamut :) dont know what else to write

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:08 pm 
Broodling

Hive Fleet Lusca.

Named after the reported Caribbean Sea Monster. Seemed like one of the few sea-monster names not already taken by GW. :wink:

It's not the winning, it's the taking apart.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:47 pm 
Big One

Hive Fleet Ungoliant.

In honor of Tolkien's great spawner of dark horrors and devourer of light.

Yup, dark and spooky. Because Tyranids roll that way.

I however, roll ones and twos.

Hive Fleet Antiquitus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 pm 
Biomass

I'm new to nids and I had a hard time choosing a name. I spent lots of time considering Greek monsters but couldn't find one that sounded right and wasn't taken. Then I went to the works of H.P. Lovecraft, but once again all the good ones where gone. Finally I consider Japanese monsters. Very few represented a powerful enough monster that sounded right, so I broke away from old myths and went to classic films. I'm a hard core godzilla fan and considered the monsters names but felt that that was a bit to easy, so I widened my views a bit. I loved the image congered by Kaiju(monster) but the sound was off. After some thinking I decided on Da Kaiju(giant monster unless I'm mistaken) which sounds dark enough and still fit with the japanese them. Now I just need to start work on some big monsters to match. Fluff wise the Idea is that my fleet was discovered by a colony of former Japanese immagrants fleeing the empirium of man. The survivors (all two of them) where in shock and simply repeated Da Kaiju over and over. Any one have any opinion of my name?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:27 pm 
Hatchling

My hive fleet is called after a dragon from West-European legends. It’s name is Vuivr. I chose this name cause I thought it was original and I just liked the word and the legend.
I’m writing the background of my fleet in russian but I’m going to translate it in English soon)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:44 pm 
Biomass

My fleet name is Amalek named after the tribe that massacred vulnerable Israelites in the dessert and became the traditional enemy of Israel. The story is that king Saul didn't kill the Amalek king Agag causing his descendants to continue to threaten Israel through the ages, which fits with my fluff of my hive fleet which came with Hive Fleet Kraken and was almost destroyed by the Ultramarines.

Of course my main reason for using this name is that they attack in such a way as to cause refuges to flee to certain areas which they then attack causing a lot of damage to their enemies moral and getting more biomass before they disappear be for attacking somewhere else.

Kokopelli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:58 pm 
Biomass

Hello fellow space bugs, I am new to the site and to Nids. Being a fan of H.R.Giger's works as well as the Alien films however, it didn't take much for me to be pulled into the swarm.
Ive gone with Hive Fleet Apep, named after the serpentine monster of darkness and evil in Egyptian legend. As to their history they were discovered by a deep space Rouge Trader salvage operation on board a huge space hulk called the Bringer of Ruination adrift on the edge of a galactic spiral arm. Little did the pirates know that their lucky, narrow "and intentional" escape from the hulk did nothing more than lead the swarm back to the first of numerous planets to be consumed by their hunger! Unlike other Hive Fleets of the Tyranid swarm, Hive Fleet Apep not only welcomes the Ymgarl genestealers to it but has also demonstrated controlled levels of rapid bio-morphing ability. The swarms monsterous Hive Overlord named "Apophis the ever changing" by survivors have witnessed it morph its limbs and bio-morphs many times to destroy its enemies from battle to battle. Yes, I'm making creative fluff of my use of rare earth magnets making the tyrant highly interchangeable, even being able to take on the aspect of a terrible Swarm Lord if in the rare, extreme circumstance it is needed.
Pictures of my bugs will be forth coming, provided I and my friends can get the blasted camera to work for our next photo shoot.

We blast their swarms, shatter their fleets, crush their abominations till our las-barrels melt and every shell is spent. But their hunger, Emperor help us that is beyond our ability to slay. "Last words of Colonel Cullen, 85th Dragoon Rifles."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:59 pm 
Biomass

Hey all, first time posting on WS.
Sorry if this one is already taken, I've scanned through the forums and gallery and havn't found it.
My hive fleet will be called 'Hive Fleet Remorhaz' When I played D&D this thing scared the crap outa me.
It's a polar worm/centapied that bursts out of the snow to ambush it's prey. Also it's spine superheats to easily glide through ice. Seeing as I'm starting with a Trygon Prime and some Raveners as my first projects I thought it appropriate.

~T

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:52 pm 
Big One

I should mention I eventually settled on Hive Fleet Bakunawa, named after a dragon from Philippine myth that ate the moon.

Hive Fleet Bakunawa, in kind, even eats the bedrock of most its planets.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:02 pm 
Big One

Hive fleet lamia.
The great devour. We consume all to give new birth of a immature galaxy.
Here's a link for details of the origin of the name.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamia_(mythology)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:39 pm 
Broodling

Mine is hive fleet Nihil. named so, as they will consume all... so far have not heard of anyone elses fleet called this which is good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next