Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:23 pm 
Great Devourer

Post the names for your HF's here, and the reason why you have it/where it's from.

Basically, I had this fundamental aesthetic of my swarm being the "cure" for the "plague" of humanity/aliens spread across the galalxy; perhaps released by the Necrons while they slept, not unlike a bug bomb one leaves in their home while they are away.

Anyway, phagocytes consume various bits and pieces of junk in the body. That was the kernel of the idea, but Phage is good as a name overall for Tyranids, given it's Greek root:

Greek phagein, "to eat".

Lysogaunt follows the biological inspiration; "lysis", as in "hemolysis", is when a cell is broken down, although technically the original Latin & Greek roots just mean "loosen", which works from a tactical perspective - loosen the foothold of marines, for example.

I'm a classicist at heart. :)

Last edited by Phage on Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Interestingly enough Phage
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:55 pm 
Hive Tyrant

Phage cells are mentioned in the tyranid codex, they are the key poison the tyranids can overwhelm space marines with.

Myself Anisoptera is the biological genus name for dragonflies and damselflies.

Post subject: Chimera
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:33 pm 
Little One

A chimera is a one creature made of vastly different parts. This fits the old tyranid model of some races being integrated into the swarm (genestealers, zoats, etc).

Chimera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:31 am 
Little One

HiveFleet Typhoeus.

I'm probably not the only Nid player out there with this one but it's a goodun'.

"TYPHOEUS was a monstrous immortal GIANT who was defeated and imprisoned beneath Mount Aitna by Zeus. He was so large that his head was said to brush the stars. Typhoeus appeared human down to the thighs, but had two coiled vipers in place of legs with hissing serpentine heads. Attached to his hands in place of fingers were a hundred serpent heads, fifty each hand. He was winged, with dirty matted hair and beard, pointed ears, and eyes flashing fire. Some said he had two hundred hands each with fifty serpents for fingers and a hundred heads, one in human form with the rest being heads of bulls, boars, serpents, lions and leopards. This volcano-daimon hurled red-hot rocks at the sky and from his mouth boiled forth great storms of fire."
- The Theoi Project

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:58 pm 
Hivefleet Angora....simply meaning armageddon (i've been told!).....my fleet have been given this name because i've never lost with it once!
(not counting draw-result because they don't counts as loses!)

also have given my hive tyrant the name "hive dominator" because it sounded rock hard!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:11 pm 
Hatchling

Mine is Hive Fleet Naginata - because I have loads of models with Scything Talons (it's essentially a close combat only swarm) and to me, ST's look a lot like the blades of the medieval Japanese glaive-like weapon of the same name.

Cheers

Glenn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:55 pm 
Biomass

Tempest since the hordes of genestealers look somewhat akin to storm clouds (if you want to stretch the metaphor you could call the scything talons flashes of lightening).

Mary-Kate and Ashley vs. Aliens vs. Predator
Ernest Goes to a WTO Protest
Dubya and Dumber
Serial Experiments Cowboyneal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:20 pm 
Biomass

I read armageddon comes from the place where it is supposed to occur in the valley of Megeddho in Israel.

My Hivefleet name is still a work in progress

I chose Hivefleet Shaido from the Wheel of Time books that used that name for a Tribe of warriors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:40 am 
Synapse Node

Atropos - a twofold meaning.

First - the scientific name of the European Death's-Head Hawkmoth: Acherontia atropos.

Second - one of the three fates from ancient Greek mythology. Atropos cut the threads of life.

Gojira014: Carcharodon carcharias. :wink: Or how about Carcharodon megalodon?

Post subject: Hive Culex
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:56 pm 
Little One

Culex a family of small biting insects (mosquitos, gnats, etc.).

My hive (at the time of naming, and presently) does not have any Tyranid Monsterous Creatures in it. It is also a seeding swarm. The picture of a swarm of gnats or mosquitos comes easily to mind.

-Bri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:28 pm 
Lictor

Hive Fleet Vrykyl

Vrykyl comes from the Larry Elmore's Soverign Stone world. In his world, its based around the 4 elemements fire, water, earth, air, and their opposite the void.

A Vrykyl is a creature of the void that devouerers the life force of the living to survive.

Fitting I thought.

carmachu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:45 pm 
Biomass

Hive Fleet Kulshedra.

From Encyclopedia Mythica:

"In ancient Albanian folklore, Bolla is a snake-like (or dragon-like) creature that sleeps throughout the entire year. On Saint George's Day, it will open its eyes and look into the world. A human unfortunate enough to be spotted by Bolla will be devoured instantly. At the end of a twelve-year cycle it mutates into another being, called Kulshedra. This creature is a horrible, fire-breathing dragon with nine tongues."

I played my room mate's Khorn army a lot, and he eventually got out of the hobby, and I bought his stuff of of him. So I used that for my fluff. Basically Hive Fleet Bolla engulfed a Khornate Chaos army known as The Crimson Reich. The influx of mutant genes caused a large series of mutations, resulting in lots of chaotic features being featured in the cells of the creatures in the swarm. The swarm changed so much, it was re-designated as Hive Fleet Kulshedra

(Though the fleet is NOT corrupted by the powers of chaos.)

As such I've painted them a bronze reddish color with black carapaces that have gold highlites to mirror the Khornate color scheme. On the bigger bugs I'm doing lots of spikey bits and conversions.
I plan on building my second tyrant with bits of a chaos lord that has been absorbed into its body...akin to the monster in The Thing, or Jeeper's Creepers 2, when it eats that kid's head, and integrates it into its body.
And my RC mutant gaunts get chaos sprue mutations.

So that's the Fleet. Still in its early stages. I've got my tyrant and 10 hormies done, and that's it. :cry:

Any suggestion for species names would be greatly appreciated, since I haven't really thought of too many thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:37 am 
Biomass

My Hive Fleet is currently named Jormungandr, after the great world serpent of Norse myth. Given the colour scheme I've chosen, however, I'm toying with the idea of changing the name to Hive Fleet Dagon, after the progenitor of the Deep One race in HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:43 pm 
Tyranid Warrior

Missed this thread the first time around.

My Hive Fleet is named Apollyon after the angel of the abyss in Rev. 9:11. (Actually, read 9:1-11 to get the full context.)

Graf Spee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:53 am 
Broodling

I called mine Hive Fleet Dimentia... I liked it- it makes them sound psycho, plus they're fully of stabby bitz :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next