Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Some Apocalypse game next week
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:14 pm 
Big One

So, Apocalypse game next week. Don't know with whom I'll be teamed up- I'll be with a pair- so I'm gonna assume that I've got to be self-sufficient in case they suck.
It's a little awkward- it's a CHURN OUT GAUNTS build that really hates the idea of rolling doubles, and capitalizes mainly on the sheer power of the Barbed Heirodule while also bringing saturation of 'tanks' and anti-tank.

Barbed Heirodule - 700
Tyranid Tunnel Swarm - 575 = 1275
...Trygon Prime
...1 Lictor
...20 Hormagaunts
Tyranid Tunnel Swarm - 575 = 1850
...Trygon Prime
...1 Lictor
...20 Hormagaunts
Tervigon w/ Catalyst, Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands, Scything Talons - 200 = 2050
Tervigon w/ Catalyst, Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands - 195 = 2245
Tervigon w/ Catalyst, Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands - 195 = 2440
10 x Gargoyles - 60 = 2500
6 x One-bug Hive Guard broods - 300 = 2800
1 x Zoanthrope in Mycetic Spore - 100 = 2900
1 x Zoanthrope in Mycetic Spore - 100 = 3000

I'd love to take a tyrant for Old Adversary, but I can't see myself being able to justify the points without dropping something crucial- the Tunnel Swarms allow a scary punch as the Trygons, gaunts, and lictors can assault the turn they come through it, and 2 x Horvigon and 3 x Tervigon gives a nice number of free bugs per turn (hopefully). The Barbed Heirodule and Hive Guard apply further anti-tank smack with the Horms and Terms clearing up infantry with superior numbers (despite no biomorphs or old adversary :<), and the zoans home in on the Lictors to provide even more scary fun.
It'd also be lovely to spend 160 points and make all those hormagaunts into superhorms- Toxins and Adrenals really do buff them. But what to drop?

Disruptor Beacon is a pain- hence the Heirodule taking it out first turn. The gargoyles start by surrounding him, keeping him screened with a 4+ against enemy shooting (cheaper than a dedicated venomthrope, and more durable).

One thought is to drop a Zoanthrope, a Hive Guard, and a Tervigon and grab myself a simple Tyrant with two guards, Old Adversary, and a Heavy Venom Cannon to help apply some pressure. The only problem is speed-- a walking Tyrant can't necessarily get to wherever those two Horvigons are spewing out their payloads quickly enough, and can only be in one place at a time... and a winged tyrant with O.A. won't survive to get there in Apocalypse.

Suggestions? Comments? Critique? Logic?

Post subject: Re: Some Apocalypse game next week
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:42 pm 
Biotitan

I'm unclear what the Gargoyles are there for. If they're in the list for a screen, there are just too many things that can circumvent cover saves to make this unit worthwhile. Instead, I would replace it with a 12-strong Termagant brood to make one of your Tervigons a troop choice.

Aside from that, I like it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:27 pm 
Big One

I'd drop a few hive gaurd and the gargoyles and see about the "endless swarm" only 20 horma gaunt, and 20 termagant away and unless your opponent can destroy entire broods even your generated termas gain the benefit.

That or try to fill in more gargoyles and give them AG and/or TS. Their fast and deadly. But aslong as you keep them away from armors they alone can devastate any table top.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:54 pm 
Big One

Forest wrote:
I'd drop a few hive gaurd and the gargoyles and see about the "endless swarm" only 20 horma gaunt, and 20 termagant away and unless your opponent can destroy entire broods even your generated termas gain the benefit.

That or try to fill in more gargoyles and give them AG and/or TS. Their fast and deadly. But aslong as you keep them away from armors they alone can devastate any table top.

Endless Swarm doesn't necessarily work, as there's no rules in the current codex for Without Number; the last couple of Apocalypse games I used it, my opponents were pretty leery, and I'm not sure they want to let me keep using it. I'm also 60 termagants away, as I haven't taken any yet, and the 40 hormagaunts I have can't be in two formations at once- so I'd need to pay the full whack of 900 points to take it. I just can't justify that in this list.

Also, I don't really see the benefit of giving a cheap, cover unit toxin-sacs or adrenals when I doubt they'll last past turn 2 or 3. Ten Gargoyles with both buffs ain't even as scary as ten horms with one buff, and neither is going to breach massive swathes in lines made of Marines. Twenty doubled-up horms scare even terminators; ten gargoyles double-buffed gargoyles will, on average, kill three normal marines in a combat round- not exactly terrifying.
Even if they were actually dangerous, that 6+ save would mean they'd be a priority target who couldn't take the punishment.

Tropic Thunder wrote:
I'm unclear what the Gargoyles are there for. If they're in the list for a screen, there are just too many things that can circumvent cover saves to make this unit worthwhile. Instead, I would replace it with a 12-strong Termagant brood to make one of your Tervigons a troop choice.

Aside from that, I like it. :D

Hmm... Termagants aren't tall enough to cover the Heirodule, and while there's a lot that ignores cover or otherwise avoids it, it's still a simple and cheap way of giving it a 4+ for a few turns and after that sending it to tie up enemy reserves. Still, if we need troops to score, really it couldn't hurt to get a dozen gaunts.
There again, those dozen gaunts could also go a long way towards getting Toxin Sacs and Adrenals on my Horms- Them and a Hive Guard gives 110 points, which gives me enough to get both upgrades on each gaunt AND put guns on both Mycetic Spores. Just dropping the Gargoyles also gives me enough for Toxin Sacs OR Adrenal Glands on each Hormagaunt, and 20 points left over for Cluster Spines on the spores.

Maybe dropping them might be smart... you're onto something!