Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tyranids [Gargoyles & Skyslasher Theme] List 1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:26 am 
Medium One

Tyranids Roster - Mobile 1

HQ:
. . 1 Tyranid Prime(Deathspitter)
. . 1 Tyranid Prime(Deathspitter)

Elite:
. . 1 Venomthrope
. . 3 Zoanthrope Brood
. . 3 Zoanthrope Brood

Troops:
. . 5 Tyranid Warrior Brood
. . 5 Tyranid Warrior Brood

Fast Attack:
. . 30 Gargoyle Brood
. . 9 Sky-slasher Swarm Brood

Heavy Support:
. . 1 Trygon
. . 1 Trygon
. . 1 Tyrannofex(Stinger Salvo; Rupture Cannon; Thorax Swarm (larvae))

Total Roster Cost: 2000

Challenge - Build a WINNING list that maxes out on Gargoyles AND Skyslasher Swarms.
My Comments:
What do you guys think? Can this list be improved upon with my CURRENT inventory?
This is my 2,000 points list if you believe this list would work much better at a lower point limit then do post your suggestions.

My Inventory:
3 Biovores
3 Broodlords
7 Carnifexs
- 4 Carnifex - Scything Talons x2
- 3 Carnifex - Devourer x2
1 Deathleaper
151 Gargoyles
71 Genestealers
- 54 Genestealer
- 17 Genestealer - Scything Talons
3 Hive Guards
3 Hive Tyrants
- 1 Hive Tyrant - Twin Linked Devourer x2, Wings
- 1 Hive Tyrant - Scything Talons x2, Wings
- 1 Hive Tyrant - Heavy Venom Cannon, Scything Talons
75 Hormagaunts
3 Lictors
2 Mawloc/Trygons
6 Raveners
- 3 Ravener - Rending Claws, Scything Talons
- 3 Ravener - Scything Talons x2
16 Ripper Swarms
27 Sky-slasher Swarms
18 Spore Mine Clusters
232 Termagants
- 100 Termagant - Fleshborer
- 40 Termagant - Devourers
- 80 Termagant - Spinefists
- 6 Termagant - Strangleweb
- 6 Termagant - Spike Rifle
3 Tervigons
1 The Swarmlord
1 Trygon Prime
2 Tyranid Primes
4 Tyranid Shrikes - Rending Claws
36 Tyranid Warriors
- 18 Tyranid Warrior - Deathspitter
- 10 Tyranid Warrior - Devourer
- 5 Tyranid Warrior - Barbed Strangler
- 3 Tyranid Warrior - Venom Cannon
1 Tyrannofex - Rupture Cannon
4 Tyrant Guards
- 3 Tyrant Guard - Rending Claws, Scything Talons
- 1 Tyrant Guard - Lash Whip
3 Venomthropes
26 Ymgarl Genestealers
9 Zoanthropes

4. Necrons - 4,300 pts
5. Ultramarines - 3,900 pts
6. Grey Knights - 3,900 pts
7. Black Templar - 2,400 pts
8. Blood Angels - 2,300 pts
9. Dark Angels - 2,200 pts

Last edited by Akaiyou on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tyranids [Gargoyles & Skyslasher Theme] List 1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:00 am 
Biotitan

[quote="Akaiyou"]Tyranids Roster - Mobile 1

Challenge - Build a WINNING list that maxes out on Gargoyles AND Skyslasher Swarms.[quote]

Winning against what? Against a friendly enemy army - no problem. Against maxed out armies - impossible.
gargoyles can be played pretty good in large units. Maybe 2 x 20 or 3 x 20. Build them the way you can hide
your tyrant and you are good to go.

skyslashers huh?......Oh man they are so crappy xD Cant give you a good advise on them. Never considered them
an option. Only thing I can tell you is keep each base as far away from the other as possible since templates will hurt you bad.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:32 am 
Medium One

That's why it's a challenge!

Gargoyles perform decently the Skyslashers not so much even with spreading them out Str 6+ templates are dime a dozen these days, instant killing 2 swarms per wound inflicted. So i often deep strike them in near cover to make use of their stealth rule area terrain is best, dangerous terrain tests dont matter when you have 3 wounds each

Anyway there has to be some sort of way to make them work! And i'm determined to find it lol Anyone else want to chime in?

4. Necrons - 4,300 pts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:53 am 
Big One

The sky-slasher swarms... use 'em as forward cover, at least. I'll tell you now, 2 x Gargoyles + 1 x Sky-Slasher would hurt much less.
My main concern is that, while you've got 7 units (two Trygons, the Rupturefex, the Warriors and the Sky-Slashers) best dealt with with anti-tank, two are very low priority and that can be dealt with with boltguns.
Depending on the warriors' set-up, they also may or may not be themselves effective at... well, anything. The primes make their shooting 'pretty alright'- but still not actively scary, whereas they a) can be scary in CC, and b) don't need a prime to do this. I'm honestly very unsure Primes are the HQs you want!
It's also amusing to note that you have more synapse units than non-synapse- or only one less if you consider the primes part of the warriors.

I'd say you're lacking a lot in shooting- you have reliable stunlock shooting in the rupturefex, but the Trygons and Zoans have range problems (amongst others, in the latter case). Your anti-infantry shooting from the gargoyles isn't great- that big flock kills two marines a turn- and is very rare elsewhere (save the Rupturefex again. Beastly beast's a beast).

I'd suggest either more or less MCs and/or more troops, reconsidering the amount of synapse, and adding better anti-infantry- likely in the form of anti-infantry shooting (plus- your anti-tank can never be too great).

Finally and thematically, why no Parastite of Mortrex?
Also, Stinger Salvo on the Rupturefex? Ewwww.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:10 pm 
Biotitan

Suggestions are based on how I would approach the same goal to max out the FA slot as you described without the use of a Tervigon.

While I understand the desire to make bodies work for you, there's something to be said for well armed units to improve their flexibility and potency. I'm a huge proponent of making the Gargoyles' and Sky-Slashers' movement work for you. Max out the Gargs with both AG and TS to be potent against transports and infantry alike. Give the Sky-Slashers AG to give them the same flexibility.

You can get away with having only two Troop choices if you have a Tervigon in your list. Since you don't, you need to put your existing troops in a position to survive. Having both Warrior broods on foot is not going to ensure that. Despite the Venomthrope's presence, cover saves of 5+ or 4+ in actual cover will not prevent ID should Lascannons or Missile Launchers single out your Warriors as they advance. If you intend to just camp them in your backfield, you might as well purchase gaunts and hide them behind blocking terrain. You're paying for high-end models. May as well use them as such.

I recommend putting both Warrior broods in Mycetic Spores to dictate terms to your opponent when and how he can hurt them. Again, biomorphs will really improve your chances to be effective with them. I would arm one for anti-infantry (LW/BS or 2xBS w/ TS) and the other for anti-vehicle (either DS or ST/RC/AG or 2xST/AG) in order to provide additional backfield threats. To round out your Troops choices, have a minimum unit of gaunts camp in your backfield or walk on from reserves for a nearby objective to add more bodies at a very cheap price.

These changes will necessitate some cuts. Because of the large amount of cover your Gargs and Sky-Slashers at the vanguard will provide, march one Trygon behind them to clean up and get cover saves as it advances. Two Trygons is overkill here, so remove one from the list. Two units of full Zoan broods is also unnecessary. Cut one out since you have a TFex to provide additional long-range anti-mech firepower. With the other CC anti-tank options you have in your list, you should be free to make this change without too much sacrifice.

The final change I would recommend is to remove both Tyranid Primes and put in a Parasite of Mortrex as your HQ choice (use a Shrike as a proxy since you aren't using any winged Warriors in your list). This can attach to the Garg brood and provide ample Synapse coverage for your vanguard. The other advantage to a Parasite is its very high S and rending capability, enabling it to puncture more durable tanks and close with them very quickly. Not to mention the occasional ability to spawn Ripper bases.

In summary, here's the list I would run under your parameters:

==HQ==
Parasite of Mortrex

==ELITE==
Venomthrope
Zoanthropes (3)

==TROOPS==
Warriors (5) w/ LW/BS, TS in Mycetic Spore
Warriors (5) w/ 2xST, AG in Mycetic Spore
Termagants (10)

==FAST ATTACK==
Gargoyles (30) w/ AG, TS
Sky-Slashers (9) w/ AG
Sky-Slashers (9) w/ AG

==HEAVY SUPPORT==
Trygon
Tyrannofex w/ RC, CS and larvae

I believe this tallies up to 1997 points.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 pm 
Big One

Tropic Thunder wrote:
Suggestions are based on how I would approach the same goal to max out the FA slot as you described without the use of a Tervigon.

While I understand the desire to make bodies work for you, there's something to be said for well armed units to improve their flexibility and potency. I'm a huge proponent of making the Gargoyles' and Sky-Slashers' movement work for you. Max out the Gargs with both AG and TS to be potent against transports and infantry alike. Give the Sky-Slashers AG to give them the same flexibility.

You can get away with having only two Troop choices if you have a Tervigon in your list. Since you don't, you need to put your existing troops in a position to survive. Having both Warrior broods on foot is not going to ensure that. Despite the Venomthrope's presence, cover saves of 5+ or 4+ in actual cover will not prevent ID should Lascannons or Missile Launchers single out your Warriors as they advance. If you intend to just camp them in your backfield, you might as well purchase gaunts and hide them behind blocking terrain. You're paying for high-end models. May as well use them as such.

I recommend putting both Warrior broods in Mycetic Spores to dictate terms to your opponent when and how he can hurt them. Again, biomorphs will really improve your chances to be effective with them. I would arm one for anti-infantry (LW/BS or 2xBS w/ TS) and the other for anti-vehicle (either DS or ST/RC/AG or 2xST/AG) in order to provide additional backfield threats. To round out your Troops choices, have a minimum unit of gaunts camp in your backfield or walk on from reserves for a nearby objective to add more bodies at a very cheap price.

These changes will necessitate some cuts. Because of the large amount of cover your Gargs and Sky-Slashers at the vanguard will provide, march one Trygon behind them to clean up and get cover saves as it advances. Two Trygons is overkill here, so remove one from the list. Two units of full Zoan broods is also unnecessary. Cut one out since you have a TFex to provide additional long-range anti-mech firepower. With the other CC anti-tank options you have in your list, you should be free to make this change without too much sacrifice.

The final change I would recommend is to remove both Tyranid Primes and put in a Parasite of Mortrex as your HQ choice (use a Shrike as a proxy since you aren't using any winged Warriors in your list). This can attach to the Garg brood and provide ample Synapse coverage for your vanguard. The other advantage to a Parasite is its very high S and rending capability, enabling it to puncture more durable tanks and close with them very quickly. Not to mention the occasional ability to spawn Ripper bases.

TT, I'd disagee on several points, but must praise you on several more.
- Removing a Trygon removes a) important anti-tank and b) a T6 body- it makes it even easier for your opponent to choose what to kill.
- Having warriors in pods means that the remaining Tyrannofex, Sky-Slashers, and Trygon have at least a turn or two where all the anti-tank can be focussed on them. Even a Tyrannofex doesn't like all the anti-tank on table pointing at it.
- Warriors are terrible anti-tank- very, very bad indeed; it'd be better to drop these warriors entirely and take the brood of three Hive Guard than to try making them good at anti-tank. They're hitting running vehicles on 6s (with rerolls, so 11/36ths- about 1/3rd), glancing or penetrating on 5s or 6s against AV 10 (now we're at 11/108ths!), before counting in popping smore- you're looking at a brood of 5, with their 20 attacks, snapping in a pen and a glance per turn... when they pods in on a turn you can't predict or rely, will sometimes scatter too far from any tank to do anything, can't fleet into enemy tanks which can thus outrun them, is vulnerable to both anti-infantry and anti tank firepower, and loses four attacks per death from its starting figure of 20. 245 points for this? Not a bargain.
At best, they'll land right next to a tank and... not be able to assault until next turn, when it's driven 12-18" away and/or dismounted everyone in it and assaulted the Warriors first and/or shot several of them to death.
- While I won't agree with 'gargoyles potent against transports' thing... they 200% are compared to the Warriors. Sixty attacks, ten hits, one point six glances, and a wrap-around to ruin the day of anyone trying to escape... much less durable, but also much less prone to attrition, and more annoying for anyone charging them. Also, they shoot- 30 s4 shots, 15 hits, 2 point 3 glances on the bumper. On average, this means that those 60 gaunts, shooting and assaulting scores four glances. If we take a pen to be as good as two glances, that makes the gargoyles 33% better, for 5 less points, and able to screen the enemy-- and they move fast enough to catch them.
- Oh, and they're amazing against infantry. Double-buffed gargoyles are lovely!
- Bonesword warriors really are beautiful things.
- The Tyrannofex isn't long-range anti-tank- it's a stunner. It marches forward and eats tanks. Its own anti-tank shooting isn't much better than a single hive guard, and isn't generally as good as two-- it's an opportunist predator, a main battle tank. Remember, it's only got a 40% chance of immobilising or better a rhino each turn- it's as much a stunner as most our shooting.
- Your logic of 'the Parasite of Mortrex is awesome' is very, very good, very nice explanation-- much better than my 'it's on theme!' thing. Very impressed by what you've got here, very well thought out!

I'll, uh, give some advice of my own once I've walked the dog.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 pm 
Biotitan

sofacoin wrote:
TT, I'd disagee on several points, but must praise you on several more.

All fair. :D
Quote:
- Removing a Trygon removes a) important anti-tank and b) a T6 body- it makes it even easier for your opponent to choose what to kill.

Something had to go in order to properly biomorph the Gargs and Sky-Slashers. Having the Trygon trail behind the much faster Gargs and Sky-Slashers serves a dual purpose: it gives a cover save to a bullet catcher that will avoid some of those bullets otherwise destined for the Gargs or Sky-Slashers, and gives the opponent pause determining how to get away from the four units (gargs + 2 S-S + Trygon).
Quote:
- Having warriors in pods means that the remaining Tyrannofex, Sky-Slashers, and Trygon have at least a turn or two where all the anti-tank can be focussed on them. Even a Tyrannofex doesn't like all the anti-tank on table pointing at it.

You forgot the Gargs w/ PoM, the Venomthrope and the Zoans. Really, the only reserves are the Warriors. I've had great success having something similar on the board as you describe. Sure, one unit might get leveled, but with the closing speed of the vanguard units and the threat of the ranged units, something will be overlooked. If they're going to focus on the Trygon at the expense of overlooking the vanguard units, all the better. And the vanguard units have enough wound mass to still be effective should they get into range. This can be improved by intervening terrain and, if necessary, judicious placement of the Venomthrope.
Quote:
- Warriors are terrible anti-tank- very, very bad indeed; it'd be better to drop these warriors entirely and take the brood of three Hive Guard than to try making them good at anti-tank. They're hitting running vehicles on 6s (with rerolls, so 11/36ths- about 1/3rd), glancing or penetrating on 5s or 6s against AV 10 (now we're at 11/108ths!), before counting in popping smore- you're looking at a brood of 5, with their 20 attacks, snapping in a pen and a glance per turn... when they pods in on a turn you can't predict or rely, will sometimes scatter too far from any tank to do anything, can't fleet into enemy tanks which can thus outrun them, is vulnerable to both anti-infantry and anti tank firepower, and loses four attacks per death from its starting figure of 20. 245 points for this? Not a bargain.
At best, they'll land right next to a tank and... not be able to assault until next turn, when it's driven 12-18" away and/or dismounted everyone in it and assaulted the Warriors first and/or shot several of them to death.

I've never had an issue with smoke being popped since more often than not the opponent doesn't expect a threat to rear armor to arrive behind them. Clean shots at rear armor are always a plus and will generally result in at least one stunned. This makes the assault the following turn all the more potent as they get auto-hits and a full 20 tries to get 5s or 6s, which in turn could lead to additional damage if not outright destruction.

The beauty of the unit, though, is that it's also effective against infantry. Granted, there are no rending strikes unless an extra cost is spent to arm with both RC and DS per model, but attack volume and high wound count will help the unit dig in and prevent it from helping out elsewhere. There is admittedly a threat from disembarking infantry that could light it up, but this can be mitigated by appropriate target prioritization on the flanks and nearby cover. I have often DS'd right into difficult terrain and taken my chances with dangerous terrain checks for the benefits received.

Quote:
- The Tyrannofex isn't long-range anti-tank- it's a stunner. It marches forward and eats tanks. Its own anti-tank shooting isn't much better than a single hive guard, and isn't generally as good as two-- it's an opportunist predator, a main battle tank. Remember, it's only got a 40% chance of immobilising or better a rhino each turn- it's as much a stunner as most our shooting.

Agreed, but it also draws fire and has excellent staying power. These factors alone make it a great unit to include. The occasional Destroyed, Immobilized or Weapon Destroyed result is just icing. Synergistically, it does a lot to benefit the other units without doing so much on its own.
Quote:
- Your logic of 'the Parasite of Mortrex is awesome' is very, very good, very nice explanation-- much better than my 'it's on theme!' thing. Very impressed by what you've got here, very well thought out!

Thank you. :) Had enough practice with the full gargs + PoM to accidentally stumble upon some tactical benefits. lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:42 pm 
Big One

Hate to double post, but I'm back, so I'd best carry on.
I'd go a different route to TT, though working on a similar line: I'd capitalize on your swarms of gargoyles and go for T6/Warrior saturation. You've got a nice wall that's hard to kill and a legitimate offensive threat.

I'd go for this:
HQs: 285
1 x Hive Tyrant w/ Wings, Devourers, Old Adversary @ 285

Elites: 220
1 x Hive Guard @ 50
1 x Hive Guard @ 50
2 x Zoanthrope @ 120

Troops: 440
3 x Tyranid Warrior: 2x Deathspitter & 1x Barbed Strangler @ 110

Fast Attack: 510
30 x Gargoyle w/TS & AG @ 240
9 x Sky-Slashers @ 135
9 x Sky-Slashers @ 135

Heavy Support: 505
Trygon Prime @ 240
Rupturefex @ 255

TOTAL: 2000

It's a similar list, but really cuts to the core- it makes use of multiple hard-to-kill targets and that massive screen of gaunts. Anti-tank is heavy- the Trygon, Tyrant, Rupturefex, two individual Hive Guard, and squad of Zoanthropes all have some decent power in handling tanks. It'd be nice to fit in a third Hive Guard, turning one brood into a pair, but it'd lower the amount of warriors on the table.
The anti-infantry is very, very large: each Warrior brood is an individual danger, able to apply a LOT of hits with one Barbed Strangler shot-- not quite as good as a biovore, but about four and a half times tougher, scoring, and better for this list. I'd not normally encourage deathspitters on warriors, but you'll be wanting to use them at range with these numbers; while 1x6 is more fragile than 2x3, it's also better in melee- and these guys traded in Toxin Sacs for an extra point of strength when shooting and a better range.
The group advances behind the stream of Gargoyles, taking a 4+ from them on just about everything. A
11 units best dealt with with S8+ weapons gives the opponent a lot of target priority problems for the enemy. The enemy anti-infantry shooting will probably do a number on the gargoyles-- but not until everyone's close enough that the gargoyles can easily be sacrificed. The Old Adversary is mainly for them, you know- they become pretty darn scary with this helping them out.
Don't worry too much about the vulnerability of the Hive Tyrant; he's not actually so important to the list. There's massive amounts of synapse anyway! - use him as anti-tank, blasting away with those 12 S6 shots... same with the Trygon Prime.

An alternative to explore would be dropping one brood of sky-slashers, one brood of warriors, and taking a second brood of souped-up gargoyles. Another would be to drop one brood of warriors, put both Hive Guard into one brood, and take two Venomthropes; they'd then keep close to the Gargoyles, making them much more survivable. They're both compatible, but wouldn't leave you with too many troops.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:05 pm 
Biotitan

I like it. A more ranged solution to the one I proposed, but still effective. I'm personally not a fan of Warriors with Barbed Stranglers but understand why they're in there. It still has the vanguard element in there behind which the Trygon Prime (and Hive Tyrant if that's the plan) can follow. The Sky-Slashers won't be able to take care of rear AV10 at all, so that could be an inconvenience against parking lot lists.

Very serviceable. :D It really boils down to your playstyle: slanted more towards ranged or more towards assault.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:21 pm 
Medium One

@sofacoin - THANK YOU! I think of all who replied you actually were the only one that truly understood my thread 100%

This is not to say that the other posters suggestions are not valid...but only sofacoin actually stuck to 'everything'

#1. I don't have a PoM so all suggestions with him are out the window automatically. As I posted that any changes would have to come from my current listed inventory. Only sofacoin actually did that. I also do not have any mycetic spores, there's no model for them and I am a rookie at conversions...otherwise I agree with everyone who suggested them, they are def effective, but I just don't own them. Must make due with what I do have.

#2 - That was also my idea to toss in more durable units of T6 + Warriors + Zoanthropes, all units that are hard to kill by contrast to the cannon fodder that are skyslashers and gargoyles. However sofacoin went in a bit of a more interesting direction with them I like the idea, but at 2,000 points will that really be enough for AV??

#3 - I love how everyone posted some tactics to their listed changes, but it seems to me that nobody tried to see any tactics in my sample list. I know the warriors are vulnerable to the current metagame spamming of S8 shots, unless im playing annihilation I would always keep them in reserve to take my objective in capture and control/seize ground missions while the rest of the army advances giving them extra survivabity. It's highly unlikely in my experience for opponents to shoot at the mass of x2 units of 18 wounds in area terrain while having a bunch of zoanthropes, trygons, tyrannofex protected by a venom thrope running down across the table to get in range of chewing their face off after turn 2.

I don't normally want to start the gargs/skyslashers on the field in most cases my opponent has enough shooting and blast weapons to decimate both in a single turn of shooting. So I will almost always deep strike them in, and use them strictly as a harrashment unit to the enemy back lines which would otherwise go uncontested since the rest of my army is 'slow' with so many wounds in the units I have no problem deep striking them into cover/area terrain to immediately reap the benefits and force the opponent to really focus fire on them or deal with them next turn. A few failed dangerous terrain tests doesnt hamper these units in the least most of the time.

At least thats the game plan to be used with the sample list I posted. I havent played with this specific list but ran a variation of it vs Tau and deep striking gargs and skyslashers near them in cover completely drew their attention from everything else and took all their fire power late ingame due to the immediate threat they pose at that distance. Worked out very well

#4 - The rupture fex is actually 265pts sofacoin.

#5 - THANKS to everyone this is the greatest number of replies i've gotten from any 40k site on this particular theme.

This is a rebuilt version of the above list, let me know what you think.

Total Roster Cost: 1995

HQ:
. . 1 Hive Tyrant(TL Devourer w/Brainleech Worms x2 + Old Adversary + Wings)

Elite:
. . 2 Hive Guard Brood
. . 2 Zoanthrope Brood
. . 2 Zoanthrope Brood

Troops:
. . 1 Tervigon(Adrenal Glands + Toxin Sacs + Catalyst)
. . 1 Tervigon(Adrenal Glands + Toxin Sacs + Catalyst)
. . 10 Termagant Brood
. . 10 Termagant Brood

Fast Attack:
. . 30 Gargoyle Brood(Adrenal Glands + Toxin Sacs)
. . 30 Gargoyle Brood(Adrenal Glands + Toxin Sacs)

Heavy Support:
. . 1 Tyrannofex(Rupture Cannon)

4. Necrons - 4,300 pts