Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Doubles with GK Ally, Need Advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:17 pm 
Biotitan

There is a 1000 point doubles coming up soon, and this is the list my partner is taking. We also have to share the same force organization chart I think:

GK 1000
crowe: 150
10 purifiers, 4 psycannon, 5 halberd: 290
10 purifiers, 4 psycannon, 5 halberd: 290
land raider crusader, multi-melta, pysbolt ammo: 270

Thing is, I have been out of the loop for ages and have no idea what that does lol. Just looks like spam, but I don't know what the spam does :O lol. I just know that halberds are mean, but I haven't faced any purifiers that I remember of or crowe.

Now I just need to find a way my bugs can support that. I am guessing I should go swarm heavy here since he has like 12 models, so maybe double Tervigon. I just don't know how much AT I should take. If he can handle AV14 fine or do I need to take Zoanthropes in case teams get av14 cheesy?

So I am thinking my troops:

Tervigon x2: AG/TS/Cat
2 x 20 Termagants

HQ: Tyranid Prime with swords and DS, maybe regeneration

Elites: Prime can either go with a venomthrope/hive guard squad of 2-3 models.

Heavy: Trigon

That is around 1000 points with either configuration. Or just not take a prime, make the one Tervigon HQ and to squeeze the points for more swarms, or be crazy and drop the Trigon for a T-Fex.

Argh 1000 points is hard to make a tyranid list with :<

Post subject: Re: Doubles with GK Ally, Need Advice
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:40 am 
Biotitan

Interestingly enough, I recently played against a Purifier list with my Daemons, so I know firsthand what some of this can do.

Crowe: He's a pretty butch guy but he gives any opponent who enters CC with him Preferred Enemy and Furious Charge. I think Crowe also makes Purifiers Troops. It could be Purifiers are Troops anyway, but they were Troops against me.

Purifiers: They have a very broken ability called Purifying Flame. It's a Psychic Power initiated at the start of the Assault Phase and takes place before anything attacks. If it goes off, any unit with a model in base contact with any member of the Purifier unit suffers an automatic hit that wounds on a 4+ regardless of Toughness (armor saves allowed). Any unsaved wounds count towards battle resolution.

Halberds give the Purifiers +2S and +1I, and are Force Weapons.

As far as your list goes, I just saw some downright evil in there. Supporting his LR with Venomthropes? NASTY! :twisted: Marching the Venomthropes up with the LR and Trygon next to it will be devastating.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:05 am 
Little One

Tropic Thunder wrote:
Halberds give the Purifiers +2S and +1I, and are Force Weapons.

Not to be picky, but Halberds are Force Weapons which give only +2I, and no strength modifications. Hammerhand can give them +1S per successful cast, but as they are Purifiers they will have to choose between using Hammerhand or the Purifying Flame power unless they have an attached independent character to cast it for them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:33 am 
Biotitan

You're right. I got my +2 designation screwed up there. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:01 am 
Big One

You may want to consider genestealers to give your opponent either an immediate infiltrated threat or a flank threat to take some pressure off of the walking Purifiers. Or you could consider a nice screening gargoyle horde to get into their ranks quickly to again give the Purifiers a chance to maintain numbers and close for assault.

Hive Fleet Antiquitus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:30 am 
Biotitan

@Tropic Thunder: The doubles I have played around here, that wont work sadly, else there will be some other evil combo abuse. Our buffs don't effect each other, only our armies. Though one doubles, I used my partners LR as cover for one of my Tervigons. When he moved it up, Tervion would move up behind lol.

@Scrotatohead: I was thinking hormagaunt blobs too, but then I need some fast synapse and might have to upgrade trigon to a prime. Or use 30 termagaunt blobs each, supported by tervigon FnP and I could screen us off easily.

So what I am understanding, his is a CC army build and I should use the swarms to screen him from a charge and give him cover saves? Only thing I am worried about now is AT (not surprising to say that eh, stupid armour...). If I need to desperately squeeze some in, I will have to HQ a tervigon, probaly wouldn't matter much if I am running a gaunt blob of the gods.

Here be draft one, but I cant do crap against any AV14, but I am going to be a nasty as hell wall of body's. Genestealer suggestion added, just to make people think harder on their deployment (spore mines come to mind too, just to force them into the open more):

== HQ ==
Tervigon (1) - Cluster Spines, AG, Toxin Sacs, Cat = 195 pts.

== Elites ==
Venomthrope Brood (2) = 110 pts.
Hive Guard Brood (3) = 150 pts.

== Troops ==
Termagant Brood (21) - Fleshborer = 105 pts.
Termagant Brood (21) - Fleshborer = 105 pts.
Genestealer Brood (10) = 140 pts.

== Total ==
1000 pts.

The list with spore mines:

== HQ ==

== Elites ==

== Troops ==
Termagant Brood (26) - Fleshborer = 130 pts.
Termagant Brood (10) - Fleshborer = 50 pts.

== Fast Attack ==
Spore Mine Brood (3) = 30 pts.

== Total ==
1000 pts.

Genestealers and the mines will mess up deployment plans even more (then again, mech its poopy), hopfully lining the foes up for easy GK pwning time. I loose gaunt numbers though. Can spawn them back anyhow with luck and I cant remember if those mines count as KP or now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm 
Big One

I don't think you need to build an army that is all things. His land raider multi-melta should be effective anit-armor against thicker shells, and your Guard will punch through transports and the like. Giving your opponent lots of bodies to worry about will cause target priority issues, and I do like the idea of the spore mine clusters to make him decide which is worse: centering to avoid a genestealer outflank or spreading out to avoid large blast gooey bombs.

Hive Fleet Antiquitus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:29 pm 
Biotitan

Yeah, if he can handle the AV14, I can focus on the "omg swarm" and deployment shenanigans.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:29 pm 
Harpy

Even if you can't gain each other's buffs, you can still offer him ablative wounds and assault screen / cover; since he's fairly slow (all infantry and 1 vehicle), I can see some value in a large brood of gargoyles (especially if you have both venomthropes and a tervigon).

With their wide wings they can obscure vision to pretty much anything in the game (and you can move them to open up a line of fire, shoot with the purifiers' psycannons, then Run the gargoyles back into formation to reset the cover screen).

Then having a 5+ cover save from the V-thrope and FNP from the Tervigon will make them very hard to blast through without massed S6+ weapons (to break through the FNP save).

Since the purifiers are expensive, small in number, and have only their T4 and Sv3+ to keep them alive (well, aside from the land raider), they will be glad of the cover, and an assault screen will allow them to choose when and who they wish to assault in return (saving them the trouble of dodging deathstar units).

You may have an issue with making sure the gargoyles die on schedule, so they don't pile No Retreat wounds on the purifiers when they join the fray.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 pm 
Biotitan

If I were to use the gargoyles, I am unsure what to drop to make room hrm... probaly might look like this:

== HQ ==

== Elites ==

== Troops ==
Termagant Brood (18) - Fleshborer = 90 pts.

== Fast Attack ==
Gargoyle Brood (20) = 120 pts.

== Total ==
1000 pts.

So I would drop the spore mines and a brood of gaunts. This is getting hard what to pick now lol, deployment disruption or a fast mobile cover save for the GK.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:58 am 
Big One

Playing with GK as an ally I would focus on 2 things; tank busting, and disrupting firing positions. I would focus on Ymgarl stealers, and tyrannofexes with rupture cannons.

They are better than us in every way vs infantry.

For HQ I would pick a tervigon to spawn scoring units.