Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anti-Aura Aura
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:44 pm 
Big One

(999) 1k list
HQ- Hive tyrant: 2x Monstrous scything talons, prehensile tail

Elite- Maleceptor
Elite- Maleceptor
Elite- Maleceptor

Troop- 30x termagant
Troop- 25x termagant
troop- 25x termagant

This list is intended for armies that focus on opponents exploiting multiple aura's with a barrage of durable units capable of spamming Mortal wounds On top of a solid amount of fodder to control/tar-pit mobile armies. In theory this could be a highly competitive list on its own.

Playing the list: coming from my high aggression play style the list is intended to play with all 4 psyker's staying in close proximity and hopefully around center of the table to maximize damage out put. Ideal hive fleet adaption would be <KRONOS> the warlord trait "SOUL HUNGER" . Complimenting the shadow in the warp with "the horror" and "the deepest shadow" you can almost shutdown pesky buffs and eliminate characters hiding in mobs.

the primary Damage comes from the maleceptor's damaging up to 6 units per turn (more if lucky rolls/multiple characters) each. Ideally want to keep the maleceptor's together to target the same units. the hive tyrant was my choice because it has the potential for 2 psychic powers + stratagem for a 3rd each turn adding additional mortal wounds to focused units and Still able to customize to opponents. since all MC are running with 3+/4++ on top of high Toughness their ability to eat away at bulky units in combination should be overwhelming in close combat.

The gants are basic fodder, used to sit on objectives unloading spam fire and preventing more dangerous MC hunters from getting into close combat with your psyker's.

some alternative/ side notes: this list was based on 1k games being the most common and able to fit in every detachment available, but you can swap the tyrant with a Neurothrope and the gants be trimmed to fit under a 500pt or expanded on with additional psykers (maleceptor's ideally). If your looking to add a more fire power to deal with titans/terminators I suggest filling your heavy slots with exocrine for their added ranged versatility. or 2-4 carnifex basic for added melee support.

alternative Adaptions could be <KRAKEN> to increase aggression/mobility, <JORMUNGANDR>(debatable better/Best option) for its relic & cover, <GORGON> for its miasma warlord, toughness relic, and toxicity stratagem for more use/lethality of your Gants in close combat

As mentioned on a few other posts, I'm still relearning how to use stratagems but i have a good feel of this list above for more competitive lists, i also believe the current "smite spam" list runs similar to this. thoughts ideas interests?

Post subject: Re: Anti-Aura Aura
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:33 pm 
Hatchling

The concept of the Maleceptor affecting characters took me by complete surprise. I am too used to not being able to target them effectively and didn't think the ability through. Well done, and thank you for the head's up!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 am 
Big One

i havnt been able to run the list myself as i dont own any malceptors, how ever i been constantly tweeking it to try and fit under 500 pts or close too, how ever i can see people losing some friends if they over use this list, or malceptors in general. that aura ability is just disgusting and the more you can squeeze in just makes it that more dangerous 3x = 3-18 mortal wounds to EACH unit surrounding them if you take that elite detachment and run the 6x 6-46 mortal wounds to EACH units, its just so Over Powered its not even a game any more. Something to consider for high competetive teir 1 lists or dealing with THAT GUY, but otherwise id try to avoid over use. its such a troll thing to do. Just to top it off i believe i mentioned the malceptors are not lacking in melee range like zoanthropes would, so toss them into a mob and let their 3+/4++ keep them alive, they dont have many attacks but because they have MC-talons you'll destroy tanks, lords of war, and walkers without a effort meaning more aura spam for fodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:48 am 
Hatchling

Ok, so I ran this list a few times, mostly as Jormungandr, and I am actually a bit underwhelmed. It is exceedingly difficult to get that 6 inch range to effect more than a group or two without the high expense of a drop pod. The brain puppy (as the gf calls it) is only a 7 inch move, which isn't bad, but scooting three large models into position to be effective is not the easiest. The psychic tendrils themselves are typically not enough to kill a character unless you can stack them, which the aforementioned positioning works against.

On the whole, it is feasible, but not reliable enough to build a list around. I got more use out of the cast 2 deny 2 than I did the special ability. Dropped in a pod, I can see it making a pretty good distraction fex.

The mass of gants made excellent bubble wrap and kept a moderate threat level with shooting. The Tyrant killed whatever he could close in melee with, which wasn't much once my opponents realized that the major weakness of the list was mobility, unless I wanted to keep spending command points (which ran out quick).

Worth the test. Learned a good bit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:17 am 
Big One

Feedback is always something to work with, thanks for testing it. Course when I originally concept of it, my local meta is melee heavy so my opponents always came to me. Maybe under hive fleet kraken would fix some of the mobility as well including a swarmlord.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 am 
Big One

Also this one is index and not codex it will need a rework anyhow

Here is revised version,.

Hive Fleet kraken, vangaurd detatchment

Relic, what ever one you like since it doesn't really effect

HQ-(warlord)NEUROTHROPE : chamelelonic mutation, one step ahead
HQ-NEUROTHROPE

Elite-malaceptor
Elite-malaceptor
Elite-malaceptor
Elite-malaceptor
Elite-malaceptor

Not a big change but maybe a play style Change. Same idea of advance and try to coral units into a single spot. That will have to be adapted to the individual game wether spreading the malaceptor and bring them closer or too bunch them deffensively. Key traits either way is trying to maximize the over lapping mortal wounds, werger they come from overload to tag multiple units or focus from psychic scream & smite. NEUROTHROPE we're chosen for the extra smite& scream spam.
Basically you play it like old carnifex spam, try to target units with as much smite possible and charge the weaker units with multiple fex(malaceptor). And since advancing doesn't effect your psychic phase utilize the kraken 3D6 to position (potentially a 13" move). Instantly fixing the mobility issue, and since they are melee units don't be afraid to use onslaught to charge after advancing. Units locked in combat will be bogged down and still suffering psychic wounds.

You can alter the warlord trait , I just saw the recharge and swing first abilities would benefit the overall.

Amazing how a minor change can revamp the efficiency.