Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tyranid Prime + Maw-Claws and Unit Hopping
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:52 pm 
Biotitan

Hypothetical situation. Don't have my codex in front of me but I'm too impatient to wait before I go home.

Tyranid Prime with Maw-claws joins a unit of Warriors. It generates an unsaved wound, granting it and the unit it's with Preferred Enemy for the rest of the game. Now say that the Tyranid Prime leaves the Warrior brood and joins a unit of Hormagaunts.

1. Does the Warrior unit the TP left still get PE?
2. If the TP causes another unsaved wound while with the Hormagaunts, will it grant PE to that unit, too?

I know the Hormagaunts already gets PE by virtue of the TP joining them, but I'm wondering if you could have the TP unit hop from one combat to the next giving permanent PE along the way.

Post subject: Re: Tyranid Prime + Maw-Claws and Unit Hopping
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:35 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I think the rule sticks with the character wielding the claws. He gives his and his unit PE - if he leaves the first unit, it's no longer his unit and he no longer grants PE.

Edit: This is based solely on how many other rules work similarly, as there's no clear cut answer either way, I think. Of the top of my head, examples of other cases would be special chars in the space marines that grant their units special rules such as infiltrate or fleet.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:46 pm 
Biotitan

The only reason I ask is because the Preferred Enemy USR states that if at least one model in the unit has PE, then the unit has PE. It seems odd to me that the Assimilate wording would deliberately point out that the TP and unit both get it.

Consider how they addressed Spore Cloud on the Venomthrope. They were explicit in stating that the models w/in 6" of the model received Shrouding. For a while we thought this was rubbish until it was pointed out that the USR grants Shrouded to the unit if at least one model has Shrouded. That the writers would rely on the BRB USR write-up so heavily in the Venomthropes' regard and not with the Assimilate write-up seems odd to me. Had they left the Maw-Claws write-up as "this model gets PE" and rely on the BRB USR for PE to do the rest, that would be one thing. The writers explicitly avoided doing this. It also points out that the bearing model and unit get PE for the rest of the game.

Not trying to game the system, but the way Venomthropes' Spore Cloud was written I'm inclined to think this interpretation was deliberate on GW's part. If so, it would make Maw-Claws a bit more potent on a TP as it can hop about, unlike the other models that can get Bio-Artefacts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I see your meaning, though there have been more write-ups like this with space marines that work the same. But you may be right :)

personally I'll play it on the safe side though.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:45 pm 
Mawloc Prime

Tropic Thunder wrote:
The only reason I ask is because the Preferred Enemy USR states that if at least one model in the unit has PE, then the unit has PE. It seems odd to me that the Assimilate wording would deliberately point out that the TP and unit both get it.

My book just says the model equipped with Maw-ClaWs gets PE... so no it would not work; once he left the unit he takes his preferred ball with him and goes home.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:37 pm 
Biotitan

Yep, so it does. Remembered it different for some reason.

Still, the tactic of jumping the Tyranid Prime from one unit to another in order to give PE to a unit that can benefit more could have merit if the circumstances warrant it. Or if the unit to which the TP was attached winds up dying around him and he's forced to hide elsewhere.