Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:17 pm 
Offline
Medium One

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm
Posts: 314
I was wondering what the general opinion is regarding this?

Can Paroxysm reduce someone's BS and WS down to zero? I was going over the BRB last night, trying to see if there is anything about having a 0 in those skills. Off the top of my head, Brood Lords and Genestealers have a 0 in BS. So, it can happen.

Is it something that can happen via the pysker power? If they go to 0, can they shoot or fight?

Come on FAQ, let's clear some of this stuff up.

What do you guys think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:32 pm 
Offline
Monstrosity
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:53 pm
Posts: 1158
From what I understood, no stat can be greater than 10 or less than 1. I'm not one of the rules guys on this board, though.

_________________
"They mostly come out at night...mostly."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:28 pm 
Offline
Medium One

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm
Posts: 314
I thought I read that somewhere in the BRB as well. I'm having a tough time finding it. Hopefully, someone more learned in the rules can find it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:30 pm 
Offline
Great Devourer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:39 am
Posts: 5676
Location: Canberra, Australia
DigestedFotoGuy - Yes, see page 3. Models with or reduced to WS0 are automatically hit in CC and can't strike back. And the 40K main rules FAQ page 4, Q: What happens if a model with BS0 takes a Snap Shot? Do they count as having a BS of 1? A: Models with BS 0 cannot make any form of Shooting attack – see the rules for zero-level characteristics on page 3.


Slightly off topic, but interesting: in 6th edition unit characteristics can range between 0 and 10, except attacks and wounds which can go higher. A rarely used rule on page 3 says that any model reduced to strength or toughness 0 is removed as a casualty.

_________________
"I know you may find the Tyranids physically repellent to look at but believe you me, you don't want to let them out of your sight." Hojan Storall Technomagos of the Adeptus Mechanicus

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:45 pm 
Offline
Medium One

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm
Posts: 314
Yaleling wrote:
DigestedFotoGuy - Yes, see page 3. Models with or reduced to WS0 are automatically hit in CC and can't strike back. And the 40K main rules FAQ page 4, Q: What happens if a model with BS0 takes a Snap Shot? Do they count as having a BS of 1? A: Models with BS 0 cannot make any form of Shooting attack – see the rules for zero-level characteristics on page 3.


Slightly off topic, but interesting: in 6th edition unit characteristics can range between 0 and 10, except attacks and wounds which can go higher. A rarely use rule on page 3 says that any model reduced to strength or toughness 0 is removed as a casualty.


Awesome Yaeling, thanks a lot =D

So, knowing this, does this now make Paroxysm the most powerful power in our pysker arsenal? What is the WS and BS of a riptide? Or of a paladin squad? Anything 3 or lower means we just get auto hits. I'm combing through the book now to see what MC's and other units would get auto hit. Granted of course, new codice came out after 6th ed. =)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:25 pm 
Offline
Big One
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:13 pm
Posts: 623
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
Yaleling wrote:
DigestedFotoGuy - Yes, see page 3. Models with or reduced to WS0 are automatically hit in CC and can't strike back. And the 40K main rules FAQ page 4, Q: What happens if a model with BS0 takes a Snap Shot? Do they count as having a BS of 1? A: Models with BS 0 cannot make any form of Shooting attack – see the rules for zero-level characteristics on page 3.


Slightly off topic, but interesting: in 6th edition unit characteristics can range between 0 and 10, except attacks and wounds which can go higher. A rarely use rule on page 3 says that any model reduced to strength or toughness 0 is removed as a casualty.


Awesome Yaeling, thanks a lot =D

So, knowing this, does this now make Paroxysm the most powerful power in our pysker arsenal? What is the WS and BS of a riptide? Or of a paladin squad? Anything 3 or lower means we just get auto hits. I'm combing through the book now to see what MC's and other units would get auto hit. Granted of course, new codice came out after 6th ed. =)


Again, I don't have my codex or rulebook at work, but I think under maledictions and psykers it might say they can't lower stats below 1... I am not sure so someone needs to double check that. It would be under the psyker rules in the BRB. I hate to be bubble burster!

_________________
10000 Nids
3000 GSC
10000 Imperial Guard
5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 pm 
Offline
Big One

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 am
Posts: 595
Location: Glens Falls NY
that's a pretty wicked stacker. since we can get multiple paroxysms (all -D3) on zoanthropes. It may be a waste of powers but that's enough to drop a demon prince to WS0 granted you need 3-3s but still subbing a d3 for each zoan is minimal -3 heaven forbid you take multiple zoan broods. and the other psykers (tervigon troops, tyrants) total 14 effects.

_________________
Such beautiful name with a dark secret. Welcome to the nightmare that is HIVE FLEET LAMIA!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:59 pm 
Offline
Great Devourer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:39 am
Posts: 5676
Location: Canberra, Australia
xsquidz wrote:
Again, I don't have my codex or rulebook at work, but I think under maledictions and psykers it might say they can't lower stats below 1... I am not sure so someone needs to double check that. It would be under the psyker rules in the BRB. I hate to be bubble burster!

Good catch xsquidz! (No bubbles burst, I just learnt something. :wink: ) I had forgotten all about that. Page 68 read that Maledictions cannot reduce a characteristic below 1.

Thinking about it, that makes the rule on page 3 quite odd. Off the top of my head I can't think of any way of reducing a characteristic to 0 that isn't a psychic power. :?

_________________
"I know you may find the Tyranids physically repellent to look at but believe you me, you don't want to let them out of your sight." Hojan Storall Technomagos of the Adeptus Mechanicus

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:41 pm 
Offline
Medium One

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm
Posts: 314
No bubble bursted at all, and good catch. =)

Oh well, there goes my hopes of a supported Haruspex, guess I'll have to do it the ol' fashioned way, and get my claws dirty =D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:48 pm 
Offline
Big One

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 am
Posts: 595
Location: Glens Falls NY
but still jus tthink of the damage zoans can do. granted youll have to give up your warp blast attack but 3 parox per brood.

_________________
Such beautiful name with a dark secret. Welcome to the nightmare that is HIVE FLEET LAMIA!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:00 pm 
Offline
Medium One

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm
Posts: 314
Would still have to go against the same unit though, wouldn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:10 pm 
Offline
Big One

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 am
Posts: 595
Location: Glens Falls NY
is that realy so bad? it means you have a -3 to -9 to both skills that's going to harm eny unit you target.

_________________
Such beautiful name with a dark secret. Welcome to the nightmare that is HIVE FLEET LAMIA!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 pm 
Offline
Mawloc Prime
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:26 am
Posts: 1288
Location: Western Massachusetts, New England, USA
Not quiet, the caveat for shots equal to the number of models in the unit is specific to warp blast; everything else is normal Brotherhood of Psykers which means the whole unit does one power with one effect.

_________________
GO
TEAM
SPACEBUG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:36 pm 
Offline
Big One

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 am
Posts: 595
Location: Glens Falls NY
you mean malediction/ blessing only trigger once? but shooting witchfire and nova will stack as 3 assults?

_________________
Such beautiful name with a dark secret. Welcome to the nightmare that is HIVE FLEET LAMIA!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:40 pm 
Offline
Mawloc Prime
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:26 am
Posts: 1288
Location: Western Massachusetts, New England, USA
Forest wrote:
you mean malediction/ blessing only trigger once? but shooting witchfire and nova will stack as 3 assults?

No, only Warp Blast specifically; listed under Zoenthrope entry, codex page 45.

_________________
GO
TEAM
SPACEBUG


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

Web Design for Warpshadow.com by SMIS Ltd.
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group