Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:17 pm 
Medium One

I was wondering what the general opinion is regarding this?

Can Paroxysm reduce someone's BS and WS down to zero? I was going over the BRB last night, trying to see if there is anything about having a 0 in those skills. Off the top of my head, Brood Lords and Genestealers have a 0 in BS. So, it can happen.

Is it something that can happen via the pysker power? If they go to 0, can they shoot or fight?

Come on FAQ, let's clear some of this stuff up.

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Can Paroxysm make your WS/BS 0?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:32 pm 
Monstrosity

From what I understood, no stat can be greater than 10 or less than 1. I'm not one of the rules guys on this board, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:28 pm 
Medium One

I thought I read that somewhere in the BRB as well. I'm having a tough time finding it. Hopefully, someone more learned in the rules can find it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:30 pm 
Great Devourer

DigestedFotoGuy - Yes, see page 3. Models with or reduced to WS0 are automatically hit in CC and can't strike back. And the 40K main rules FAQ page 4, Q: What happens if a model with BS0 takes a Snap Shot? Do they count as having a BS of 1? A: Models with BS 0 cannot make any form of Shooting attack – see the rules for zero-level characteristics on page 3.

Slightly off topic, but interesting: in 6th edition unit characteristics can range between 0 and 10, except attacks and wounds which can go higher. A rarely used rule on page 3 says that any model reduced to strength or toughness 0 is removed as a casualty.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:45 pm 
Medium One

Yaleling wrote:
DigestedFotoGuy - Yes, see page 3. Models with or reduced to WS0 are automatically hit in CC and can't strike back. And the 40K main rules FAQ page 4, Q: What happens if a model with BS0 takes a Snap Shot? Do they count as having a BS of 1? A: Models with BS 0 cannot make any form of Shooting attack – see the rules for zero-level characteristics on page 3.

Slightly off topic, but interesting: in 6th edition unit characteristics can range between 0 and 10, except attacks and wounds which can go higher. A rarely use rule on page 3 says that any model reduced to strength or toughness 0 is removed as a casualty.

Awesome Yaeling, thanks a lot =D

So, knowing this, does this now make Paroxysm the most powerful power in our pysker arsenal? What is the WS and BS of a riptide? Or of a paladin squad? Anything 3 or lower means we just get auto hits. I'm combing through the book now to see what MC's and other units would get auto hit. Granted of course, new codice came out after 6th ed. =)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:25 pm 
Big One

DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
Yaleling wrote:

Slightly off topic, but interesting: in 6th edition unit characteristics can range between 0 and 10, except attacks and wounds which can go higher. A rarely use rule on page 3 says that any model reduced to strength or toughness 0 is removed as a casualty.

Awesome Yaeling, thanks a lot =D

So, knowing this, does this now make Paroxysm the most powerful power in our pysker arsenal? What is the WS and BS of a riptide? Or of a paladin squad? Anything 3 or lower means we just get auto hits. I'm combing through the book now to see what MC's and other units would get auto hit. Granted of course, new codice came out after 6th ed. =)

Again, I don't have my codex or rulebook at work, but I think under maledictions and psykers it might say they can't lower stats below 1... I am not sure so someone needs to double check that. It would be under the psyker rules in the BRB. I hate to be bubble burster!

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 pm 
Big One

that's a pretty wicked stacker. since we can get multiple paroxysms (all -D3) on zoanthropes. It may be a waste of powers but that's enough to drop a demon prince to WS0 granted you need 3-3s but still subbing a d3 for each zoan is minimal -3 heaven forbid you take multiple zoan broods. and the other psykers (tervigon troops, tyrants) total 14 effects.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:59 pm 
Great Devourer

xsquidz wrote:
Again, I don't have my codex or rulebook at work, but I think under maledictions and psykers it might say they can't lower stats below 1... I am not sure so someone needs to double check that. It would be under the psyker rules in the BRB. I hate to be bubble burster!

Good catch xsquidz! (No bubbles burst, I just learnt something. :wink: ) I had forgotten all about that. Page 68 read that Maledictions cannot reduce a characteristic below 1.

Thinking about it, that makes the rule on page 3 quite odd. Off the top of my head I can't think of any way of reducing a characteristic to 0 that isn't a psychic power. :?

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:41 pm 
Medium One

No bubble bursted at all, and good catch. =)

Oh well, there goes my hopes of a supported Haruspex, guess I'll have to do it the ol' fashioned way, and get my claws dirty =D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:48 pm 
Big One

but still jus tthink of the damage zoans can do. granted youll have to give up your warp blast attack but 3 parox per brood.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:00 pm 
Medium One

Would still have to go against the same unit though, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:10 pm 
Big One

is that realy so bad? it means you have a -3 to -9 to both skills that's going to harm eny unit you target.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 pm 
Mawloc Prime

Not quiet, the caveat for shots equal to the number of models in the unit is specific to warp blast; everything else is normal Brotherhood of Psykers which means the whole unit does one power with one effect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:36 pm 
Big One

you mean malediction/ blessing only trigger once? but shooting witchfire and nova will stack as 3 assults?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:40 pm 
Mawloc Prime

Forest wrote:
you mean malediction/ blessing only trigger once? but shooting witchfire and nova will stack as 3 assults?

No, only Warp Blast specifically; listed under Zoenthrope entry, codex page 45.