Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tyrant Guard Shenanigans
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:46 pm 
Little One

So, the shield-wall rule says a tyrant can join the unit exactly as if it were an independent character. Does this mean Tyrants can now leave as if they were independent characters? Can you have a Flying tyrant either get bodyguards for 1-2 turns and then leave, or deep strike and rendezvous with a guard unit?

If I recall correctly the rules that forbade this stuff were explicit in previous editions (winged tyrants cant join guard units) or in the rules for a "retinue" which was specific about the character not leaving.

As a random aside, Venom Cannons can penetrate now? Are they worth taking as an anti-vehicle choice?

Post subject: Re: Tyrant Guard Shenanigans
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 pm 
Biotitan

Like 5e before, Shield Wall states that a Hive Tyrant or Swarmlord gets the IC rule solely for the purposes of joining a Tyrant Guard unit. Once joined, that IC designation goes away. As such, the Hive Tyrant or Swarmlord cannot leave.

Post subject: Re: Tyrant Guard Shenanigans
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:28 am 
Great Devourer

ProudAardvark wrote:
As a random aside, Venom Cannons can penetrate now? Are they worth taking as an anti-vehicle choice?
Yes! I read the entry and didn't even notice until HiveFleetOda pointed it out.
The heavy venom cannon is. At S9, good chance of hitting, and no penalties it should be good. The warrior sized one... not so much. But since the codex doesn't describe it as an anti-tank weapon, I'm okay with that. :wink: (The pedant in my really hated that the 5th edition codex talked about the smaller one as if it were an antitank weapon when clearly was terribad for that role.)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/