Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spore Mine Clusters as Fast Attack Choices
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:16 pm 
Little One

Am I missing a rule that allows deep striking spore mine clusters to land directly on enemy units? Or is that not allowed? (i.e. you have to deep strike them legally and then move them around the battlefield until they can charge something)

Post subject: Re: Spore Mine Clusters as Fast Attack Choices
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:53 pm 
Mawloc Prime

They went with the same wording for 4th edition, which took 2 FAQs to have them say they could land on models all along.

I'm going to go back to yes they deep strike on top of models, because otherwise, THEY HAVE NO PURPOSE!

Yes, you could argue that they have to deep strike normally and then, move your 3", then charge a unit, then survive overwatch, then reach the unit with it's 2d6/2 assault move, and then, blessedly sweet release, finally explode... and what do you want for the points? (i don't know, maybe something as useful as a hormagaunt??)

Maybe i'm an optimist.... all flask of bioplasma half full, i chose to believe that they are not actively trying to ruin the book, just bad at writing the book. To have a unit that walks that slowly, but only purpose was to get into an assault is completely ridiculous! As a cool back up for if you miss for your aerial bombing/bombardment attack, it's better than 1d6 scatter.

I chose Deep Strikeing on models goes boom not mishap..... but i guess we'll get our official answer in 4-12 months.

(SIDE BAR: they don't explode when you shoot them now either!)

Post subject: Re: Spore Mine Clusters as Fast Attack Choices
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:02 pm 
Little One

Oh it's worse than that, you can't charge on a turn that you deep-strike right! So RAW you'd have to leave them floating about for an entire turn before you can even attempt to have the fun of getting them snap-fired to death trying to charge something.

I'm gonna assume that a fast attack spore mine cluster is in fact *fired* into play by an off-board harpy or biovore.

(Do they even read this stuff before they publish it?)