Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: You gotta brush that dust of your models
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:56 pm 
Mawloc Prime

Hey, my log in still works!
Greetings ya'll.

After a lay off i'm about to dive back onto the game with my first game of 6th with some recent also returning to the game people.

Does anyone have a quick "what the heck happened to us in 6th" conversation link they can direct me too? or, just sum up how bad it's been?

Oh, look, still rumors for the new codex..... just like when i left 18 months ago; ah, some things never change!

Post subject: Re: You gotta brush that dust of your models
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:23 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

hey Oda, welcome back.

Those new rumors are somewhat solid already - box shots of new models have already circulated.

ok, what happened to us in 6th: No more no retreat wounds in melee gave us our tarpits back. Overwatch fire however means you sometimes need to charge first with a sacrificial unit. Tervigons create those quite well.

Flying hive tyrants - they work wonders. Lots of people agree those with dual devourers are optimal.

Psychic powers - no longer restricted to those of our own codex, we can now also roll some from the main rulebook. Hive tyrants with a favorable roll on the biomancy table can do some serious harm and be difficult to shift off the table.

no allies means little anti-air capabilities for us.

Easier cover saves for Monstrous creatures. Feel no pain only 5+, but more universally applicable

think that's about it

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:37 am 
Medium One

Random charge range can really hurt, especially through cover, now that move through cover doesn't help when you charge. Most of the stuff that was good is still good, and most of what wasn't, still isn't. The Harpy is probably the only unit that has gone from terrible to quite good.

In all, 6th gave us a bit of a boost IMO, mainly due to access to new psychic powers from the biomancy table in the rulebook and access to flying monsterous creatures. We are still very reliant on certain units to win the day for us (i.e. tervigons and flying hive tyrants), but that is a codex thing rather than a rulebook thing, and hopefully it will be resolved soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:27 pm 
Great Devourer

Welcome back Oda. :) Vonny and Centurion have done a good job in listing the changes. I just want to say a little bit about how to react to the changes.
  • Fleet lets you re-roll any or all of the dice when running or assaulting. Always remember that, and random charge lengths tend to become a good thing for little bugs. And it means that your hormagaunts can reliably move a good distance in the shooting phase.
  • Beasts are not slowed by difficult terrain (but are still reduced to initiative 1 when assaulting through it). So our fleeting raveners can really get around.
  • Snap shooting is a the major change in 6th ed, and overwatch it a type of snap shooting. Even though you know they will be only hitting on 6's it is way easy to over estimate the damage caused. Overwatch casualties are no where near as bad as you fear (unless they are orks, in which case their overwatch is exactly half as bad as you fear. :p), so don't get too bothered by it. The biggest problem for us is the few casualties caused in overwatch are taken from the closest models to the enemy and can cause a charge to fail. So get as close as you can before assaulting. (Or as Vonny said, have something less valuable or vulnerable soak the hits by charging first.)
  • Hammer of Wrath hits from monstrous creatures = bonus impact hits at initiative 10.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/