Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Swooping FMCs and Failing Vortex of Doom
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:56 pm 
Biotitan

Something I just noticed was the Telekinesis Vortex of Doom power, which can be utilized by a Flyrant and wind up backfiring on you. The rule states that you place the blast marker on the Psyker.

Is this a case of obvious "spirit of the rule" and it's allowed even though a Swooping FMC cannot be targeted by blasts?

Post subject: Re: Swooping FMCs and Failing Vortex of Doom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:20 am 
Medium One

Vortex of Doom is a warp charge: 2 power, so only the swarmlord can cast it, and since he can't fly, he will be hit.

As for your original question, by the rules the template wouldn't hit a flying psyker, but I think it's up to you and your opponent to decide if this is against the spirit of the rules and to house rule it or not. It looks to me like GW didn't consider flying psykers in this one, but I'm struggling to think of a situation where a flying psyker could use the power anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:59 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

also, I'd say placing the blast masker on the psyker isn't the same as actually hitting the psyker - you place a blast marker over the flyer's base, but can't hit it.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:28 am 
Biotitan

Centurion wrote:
Vortex of Doom is a warp charge: 2 power, so only the swarmlord can cast it, and since he can't fly, he will be hit.

Ah, good point.

Quote:
As for your original question, by the rules the template wouldn't hit a flying psyker, but I think it's up to you and your opponent to decide if this is against the spirit of the rules and to house rule it or not. It looks to me like GW didn't consider flying psykers in this one, but I'm struggling to think of a situation where a flying psyker could use the power anyway.

Daemon Princes with wings have access to Telekinesis and are able to get up to Psyker 2 or 3, so for them this situation could apply. As I also play Daemons, it's an interesting tactic to use with them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:46 am 
Medium One

Tropic Thunder wrote:
Daemon Princes with wings have access to Telekinesis and are able to get up to Psyker 2 or 3, so for them this situation could apply. As I also play Daemons, it's an interesting tactic to use with them.

Ah, so they do. I assumed they were like CSM ones that have Pyromancy instead. I'd suggest the standard talking it over with your opponent before the game. Most people will be happy to go with your interpretation since it is a disadvantage to you. I wouldn't worry about anyone calling you out on breaking the spirit of the game if your votex doesn't hit the prince - the rules are clear on this one and it's such an uncommon scenario I don't think anyone can acuse you of taking that build just to ignore the negative effects of one power you might not even get.