Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Running a tournament-please give me some advice
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:15 am 
Big One

I am running a small tournament:

8 players-1000 each, but it will be a random 4 on 4, so 4K vs 4K non apocolypse. The main reasons are we don't have alot of time or space for tables this time.

There will only be 2 games, the best player from game one will be force to switch sides in game 2 to balance the teams a beat. The team that wins the 2nd game will get a prize as a team.

The part I am struggling with is this-I want there to also be awards for the best 2 individual players. So at the end of each game, each player gets points for holding an objective, for example, if you hold a middle one its worth 2 points, but if your ally also holds it he gets 2 points for his personal score.

How do I do kill points? I wanted to make it that the player that finishes off the unit gets a kill point as well, but the problem is then everyone on the team will want to be the one that fires last to finish off units and that could slow the game down. I was thinking on turn 1, team 1 all moves at the same time, but fires in order, player 1,2,3,4, then turn 2 they all move together but then fire in order 2,3,4,1 and so on, so everyone gets a chance to be last. I think this will slow it down a bit as well but could work-anyone have any better suggestions?

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

Post subject: Re: Running a tournament-please give me some advice
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:40 am 
Medium One

Easiest solution for the kill point issue is instead of giving points for getting a kill point, each player loses a point off their personal score when they lose a unit. That way it doesn't matter who gets the kill, and also means as a player you have to make a choice between conserving your personal kill points or throwing your units onto the objective. This has the added bonus of making it easier to work out at the end of the game (you might forget what you killed but you shouldn't forget what was in your army at the start!)

Note: This can lead to negative scores all round!

EDIT: I misread this a bit and thought you were doing a special scenario with kill points + objectives. If this is the case my idea should work. If not then it will make a very boring game as everyone hides everything :P. If you are sticking with the standard missions, I'd just chose to re-roll the kill points one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:45 am 
Biotitan

Having a team game with individual scoring could generate a very cutthroat environment. Rather, consider encouraging teamwork through the point system.

Here are some ideas on how this could be accomplished:
  • If a unit is destroyed, all players who contributed to its destruction by killing at least 1 model in the unit gets 1pt.
  • If a player single-handedly destroyed a unit, it gets +1pt.
  • If a player wins a challenge, he gets 1pt.
  • If a player kills an enemy Warlord, he gets 1pt.
  • First Blood doesn't matter for the purposes of individual points, only for determining what side won.
  • All players who have units that contribute to Linebreaker at the end of the game get 1pt each.
  • All players who have scoring units on objectives get 2pts each if the objective is captured, 1pt if the enemy denies it.
  • All players who deny the enemy from scoring on an objective get 1pt each. This only counts if there's an enemy scoring unit that would've scored had the denying unit not been there.
  • The winning team all gets 2pts each.
  • If a player is wiped from the board, his teammates get -1pt each. The wiped player gets -2pts.

Firing order should also be 1-2-3-4 on odd turns, then 4-3-2-1 on even turns. The team decides its own firing order based on army strengths, weaknesses and late-game expectations of being able to fire. Close combat is strictly done by initiative. Challenges are done by initiative, too, if two players charge the same unit in CC and want to get the challenge point. If there's a tie, it goes to the Warlord. If there are two Warlords in the battle or none, roll off to see who gets the right to challenge.

Just some ideas. Hopefully this spurs some notions on how you might want to do it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:54 am 
Big One

Tropic Thunder wrote:
Having a team game with individual scoring could generate a very cutthroat environment. Rather, consider encouraging teamwork through the point system.

This is a mini tournament for some of the best players in my city, but I don't want them to come with pre-built alliances and crazy combos so it supposed to be very cutthroat, even for your own team. I like the ideas and will need to think about it some more.

There will be 9 objectives, 3 in each deployment zone and 3 in no mans land plus kill points at the same time.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!