Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [Hive Fleet Lamia] Project HT
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:53 pm 
The Red Terror

Hello all!

I'm jumping back into 40k and Tyranids and picked up my first new models in quite a long time. This thread will serve as my project log as I build the new swarm leader for Hive Fleet Lamia. Currently I'm awaiting some Forge World twin-linked devourers to arrive at my place and am slowly patching the mold gaps in the thorax carapace, though I may remove the chimnies. Thoughts?

I want to do something more unique with this Hive Tyrant so I've based the head off of some of the beautiful concept artwork by Roberto Cirillo.
[Open in new window]

Giving me the following head. I'm not sure I'm happy with the size of the mandibles yet though. I also need to pick up a pin vice in order to add the small holes in the first head plate.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

As for what to do with the body and the non-devourer arms, I'm open to suggestions! I need some input to get the creative juices flowing.

Post subject: Re: [Hive Fleet Lamia] Project HT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:33 am 
Big One

New year, new projects. Great.

I like your work. In order to make it more similar to the artwork, it might be a good idea to beef up the front carapace plate a bit more.

Concerning the arms its hard to say. If you want the model to be good in games, i think you need wings.
Maybe go for magnets, if you want some flexibility

If you go for just awesome looking, i would like to see something like a big bonescythe. I was thinking about that weapon for a while, but never had the time to do one.

harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:19 pm 
The Red Terror

Thanks Harald! You should draw me a picture of what you imagine for the bio-scythe.

So small update, my FW Devourers came in, and man are they beefy!
[Open in new window]

So this is basically a little test pose, let me know what you think. As for work I've done, I've clipped off the chimneys and green stuffed them in to match the original artwork. I feel like it just makes the overall silhouette of the Hive Tyrant much sleeker as well. Looking at the test pose though, I'm thinking I might shave some of the first carapace plate down and mount the scything talons a little further back, to get a much more Lictory vibe.

Alternatively, since the Devourers are sooo beefy, I could slap a pair of Tyranid Warrior Rending Claws or Scything Talons in the bottom slot to give it that much more weapons-platform dedicated look.
[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:46 am 
Big One

Drawing? OMG one of my many weaknesses :lol:
Just have a look at FW Primarch Mortarion or Eldar Phönixlord Maugan Ra.
They almost show perfectly with pose might result from such a weapon.
About the weapon itself i thougt about some spinelike think for the shaft and a boney blade...

I like the streamlined look without chimneys.
The FW devourers are really massive. I kinda like the pic with the scytals in the lower sockets.
Quite unusual, but great looking. The scytals seem a bit to flimsy for a tyrant. You could try to shave down the regular ones to make them shorter.

harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:54 am 
Broodling

Love that head and the reworked chimneys on the carapace! I take it you are giving him legs? I only mention it because he looks like a ravener/trygon/tyrant at the moment which looks rather cool.
Love the idea of a bone scythe by Harold, i think getting the two handed grip might be tricky though.