Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Project Hel: My OOE Conversion
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:35 pm 
Screamer Killer

Now that it has been passed over for a golden demon, I can post the link to my OOE conversion project here:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleet ... oject-Hel/

These are kind of a rough step by step account of the project from inception to completion. I do warn, however, that there are stages where I got a lot of work done between pictures. In the end, I think I resculpted roughly 80% of the OOE surface area. The conversion is based on the following sketch:
[Open in new window]

She didn't turn out to be exactly like the sketch, but I still am rather proud of the thing.

She is named Hel after the norse god who was said to be half dead (fitting, eh?). Hel was also one of Loki's three children, which plays into my fleet's ever-evolving fluff.

Let me know what you think.

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

Last edited by Mr_Pink on Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:43 pm 
Tyranid Prime

I am stunned. Words fail me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:17 pm 
Trygon

That blows my mind! Very good sculpting, I am indeed impressed 1000 times. :D I gotta have one, to bad they are one of a kind! How did you get overlooked for a GD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:23 pm 
Screamer Killer

Unless you have been to a GD it is impossible to imagine just how stunningly perfect the paint jobs on the models entered into the Golden Demon comp are. I do not begrudge ANY of the large 40k category models for beating me out. I am hoping that the one of a khornate champion on jugger mount took the slayer sword (utterly perfect...although so was a Witchhunters crusader model entered in the single model ategory). The others were a very nasty nurgle rhino parked beside a putrid lake and the final one was a flawless Land Raider.

As much as I would have liked to have received a Golden Demon, it was not meant to be this year. No matter. I still love Hel as she is. I may even strive to improve the job I did painting her.

Make sure to check out my GD coverage post in the News&Rumours section for pictures of other Nid entries (mine included) as well as pics of the new Heirophant (damn! Did I call it a heirodule when I named the pics?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:24 pm 
Trygon

I did sir, and was so utterly blown away. Not to get off topic, but we culd realy use you here as well: http://warpshadow.com/viewtopic.php?p=5275#5275 :wink: Once again, your sculpting was well, beyond my wildest imagination, very cool and very, very well done. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:58 pm 
Great Devourer

Pink, that is just great! If the GD judges put a priority on conversion, I suspect you would win hands down.

I really like the unusual paint scheme, but I think that may have been a factor. Everyone is so accustomed to brightly colored, high contrast schemes, that the subdued ones seem to get overlooked.

I think it looks great.

A thought - can you submit a baby book with your piece? I think a little photo album of the WIP pics, might have really impressed upon them the remarkable work.

It's a really great effort, and I am proud to have you as a member and admin. :)

Of course, now I have to start strengthening my skills. I've got the game part down and I can make a pretty decent piece of terrain, but I need to work on the painting and converting a little more.

And yes, it's amazing the work you can see popping up at a convention. People really go all out for those things. It's quite inspiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:51 am 
Screamer Killer

Thanks very much for your kind words, Phage. However, I should be the one thanking all of you because it was your work and discussion that spurned me to complete a conversion that I had been putting off since just shortly after 3rd ed 40K came out (when the sketch surfaced). In the beginning I didn't even think I could do it, but after seeing the work of Moloch and Trygon and Mr. Grendel I figured "what the hey, I'll give it a go."

And it came out well. Even you, Phage, are to blame for wasn't it you that advised sculptors to ALWAYS USE WET TOOLS when sculpting green stuff? that advice saved me.

I cannot complain about not achieving a demon since I, honestly, started painting this thing 5 days before the competition. I'm sure that some of the winners had been painting for weeks. It would have been robbery of I had won over them.

The scheme just came to me so naturally several years ago just before the new 'dex came out and I have been holding to it tenaciously in the face of all the people who tell me it's too dark. I think it is just the perfect thing for Tyanids that are meant to be hunting in shadowy jungles. Plus, have you ever seen an Alien (as in Alien movie) that is brightly coloured? Heck no! That's just plain NOTscay/wise when you're attempting to be a predator.
"Johnson! Where did that terrifying beast go!?"
"Right there sir. Its neon-green scales are very visible behind all the shadowy grey cabling off in the shadows over there."
After all, we don't want Shoot the Big Ones replaced with Shoot the Bright Ones.

I'm not sure about the baby book since A) there are size restrictions for each category, and B) a great deal of conversion work goes into a number of the models entered.

You definitely need to strengthen your skills, Phage. All I had to do to strengthen mine was to sit down and start playing with green stuff. It's quite easy to teach yourself by just seeing what looks good. If I could give one piece of advice, however, it would be to work in layers. Never try to do everything at once because you will wind up slipping and fudging something that looked great before. Patience will save you.

Now I hope that my work can inspire others to get going on those projects they've been meaning to do. Last night I was actually contemplating making a start on some Guards converted from Verm1s sketches...hmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:32 am 
Tyranid Prime

Big difference between practising to get good/better & natural ability though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:05 am 
Trygon

Hive wrote:
Big difference between practising to get good/better & natural ability though...

I'll agree, and disagree with you on that. In Mr.Pinks case, yes he has great ability. I'm not saying he did not practice but it seems he is a natural sculptor. However, you can learn to sculpt exactly as he says with practice. I have seen it happen with me. I could not do a thing with green stuff when I first bought it, even thought of throwing it away. I did some research online and found the water comment. It helped and from there things went. Mr.Pink is a very talented artist and I think will be sculpting entire minis soon. :D

Post subject: WOW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:16 am 
Biomass

I love it!! I really like the multiple rows of teeth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:28 pm 
Screamer Killer

Yes, there is a big difference between practice and natural ability, and I am on the side of practice, Hive. Despite what the insanely-too-kind HF Trygon may believe, I too was once daunted by epoxy putty and I too thought about throwing the stuff out because I couldn't do anything with it. Heck, the greenstuff I used to sculpt Hel's face was close to 5 years old and I had not used it in like 4 years because I thought myself incapable.

The only way in which my sculpting is natural is the natural nature of copying what one sees. I watched alot of what the sculptors did on this forum and I eyed all the 'Nid models I have and I gradually started seeing how all these things fit together. When doing the interior detail of the heat vents on Hel's back, as well as the squishy bits inside her ribcage, I stole a page from the book of taufortae/trygon by poking holes to give texture and just randomly shaping stuff around until it looked intestine-like.

I maintain that, with practice, anyone can do basig sculpting. The most important advice I would give would be to keep your tools wet and always work in layers. If you try to do too much at once, you WILL mess something up.

When I get a chance maybe I'll write a mini-article about things I've learned about sculpting nids.

Oh, and thanks for noticing, dstjames! I wanted there to be multiple rows of teeth to pay homage to Jes Goodwyn's Original Screamer Killer, which I still love, as well as Aliens.

You see what you people made me do? I just went in and bitz ordered half of a Carnosaur to conver into my own Haruspex because of all the praise you fine folks have given Hel. Looks like you'll have both competition and a new project to watch, Trygon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:45 pm 
Great Devourer

Mr_Pink wrote:
And it came out well. Even you, Phage, are to blame for wasn't it you that advised sculptors to ALWAYS USE WET TOOLS when sculpting green stuff? that advice saved me.

Well, always use wet tools is a littel stronger than I would put it, but yeah, I could be to blame for that advice. :)

From the tiny bit of work I have done, keeping your tools wet to avoid sticking and facilitate smoothing was the one lesson that I quickly learned and from further discussions it was heavily reinforced. Of course, the cool sculptors often use spit. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:46 pm 
Trygon

Mr_Pink wrote:
You see what you people made me do? I just went in and bitz ordered half of a Carnosaur to conver into my own Haruspex because of all the praise you fine folks have given Hel. Looks like you'll have both competition and a new project to watch, Trygon.

You don't know how happy I am to hear that! I expect to see someting miraculous. I still say you are fantastic, and am flattered to hear you looked at some of my stuff to get help. I was hoping it would help someone but never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be that beneficial, that is amazing work, amazing. You do not give yourself enough credit. Anyway I am writing an article on sculpting right now, I mentioned it to you someweher, maybe here? But it may help you, even though you don't realy need my help anymore (it's obvious :wink: ). I would love to have you jump in the thread and ask questions or give your sculpting comments. Look in Modeling and painting for a haraspex article.

Back to the topic, You have some great detail, which tool did you use? I have about 50 but tend to use only 2 all the time. I am sorta fond of them and know I should try using more. Can't wait to see more. Oh, and if you ever want to post an article and don't have room feel free to use my site. I have 100MB avalible and would welcome your contribution. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:12 am 
Screamer Killer

I might take you up on that hosting offer, Trygon.

I should take a picture of the tools I use because I don't know the exact names. I, too, have about 15 but tend to favour 2. I'll get a pic up.

And don't think that just because I haven't posted anything that I have not been watching your project. I've got my claws into everything.

Once again, thank you for the words. You are the archetype for "too kind."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:49 am 
Great Devourer

Mr_Pink wrote:
I might take you up on that hosting offer, Trygon.

We need to convince you to start your own site. It's easy...honest! :twisted: