Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hivefleet Iamterriblewithnames - Harpy and Lictyrant upd
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:35 pm 
Hatchling

I have not posted any of my stuff. None of my bugs are even close to done. I acquired them from a buddy who had no interest in the army at all and it was all grey plastic, so I have been working on some things here and there slowly. I have lots of Chaos (daemons and marines) Orks and I have some Grey Knights too. I really like your sculpting and it's inspiring me to try again because of all the great (i think they are at least) ideas I have for custom bugs..

Thanks again for sharing

-Brett

Post subject: Re: Hivefleet Iamterriblewithnames - Harpy and Lictyrant upd
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:35 pm 
Big One

It's been far too long and i'm so sorry, starting a new job and assorted other distractions have kept me away from tyranids for a bit (not to mention a minor flirtation with a few blood angels...)

Anywho, here I am, and I have a few updates.

first of all, i found the little critters from the harpy kit pretty awesome, so I've painted one up just for the fun of it.

[Open in new window]

It needs some kind of base, it's still atached to my pin vice! I quite like the idea of a small diorama with one tearing into a victim while more flock in... I'm sure I can spare a terminator, a dreadnought may be even more fun though!

next up is the Harpy. A pretty minor update here, I've tidied up the mouth

[Open in new window]

I've also finished off the armour plating down it's tail, finished off the ribs and attached the wings

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I've slightly given up on mimicking the harridan, as the basic shape of this model and the wings are so different it would require an almost completely new sculpt to make a mini harridan! for example the twin-arm wings of the harridan would be nearly impossible to mimic with the harpy wings, and i'm definitely not up to the task of sculpting entirely new wings! this does leave the question though of what to do with the lower arms! the harpy guns seem far too bulky for my liking, so i'm considering a pair of scything talons or even rending claws... will have to think on that one.

Last but not least is the lictyrant. A relatively minor update here, I've been working on the mantis claws. so far all I've done is the armour plating on one of them, so I need to work the second one up to match then decide what to do for the fleshy underside as the lictor model leaves a little to be desired here!

[Open in new window]

and when I say last but not least, I mean almost last, because I've painted this chap too!

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I know it's not my best painting, but I'd rather rush a paintjob than have a model sit on my shelf unpainted for years! probably took me about 2 hours to paint, faster than I would normally manage to paint one arm in! So in terms of efficiency I'm chuffed, the time saved is much more than the quality lost.
As a side note, you may notice his hands, which come from the 3rd edition monstrous creatures sprue (those old rending claws were like gold dust back in the day!). I think they make a pretty reasonable replacement for the hands stolen by the lictyrant.

comments, suggestions, ideas, criticisms etc etc are very welcome, I look forward to what you guys have to say :) As usual apologies for the slightly lousy photos...

Post subject: Re: Frankendoodle's WIP - Lictyrant and Harpy Updates, etc..
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:45 pm 
Great Devourer

There is nothing here that isn't brilliant frankendoodle. 8-)

I'm really fond of the tentacle nids too. And the Beast of Phodia is very nice. I think he actually looks better with the smaller claws. The speed of painting is something I'd be very happy with as well. He looks dead good, and fast and good is the army painters dream. :D

Now I'm going to try not to gush too much about the harpy. Love her head, and extra armour, and especially her mini grabby tongue. It's perfect! Now that you've filled in the flight stand hole, how will you base the model?

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:58 pm 
Big One

I was just thinking about your Harpy conversion recently while painting some of my own Nids - glad it hasn't been forgotten! Looking even better now!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:24 pm 
Big One

Thanks a lot guys :)
Pekel, I would never forget such an expensive model! Whether it's now or in a years time, it will be finished, though I must admit to feeling a little overwhelmed at times by this model, hence the slow progress.

A quick update (for once!);

Harpy wing membranes are now attached to the body, what a pain that was to sculpt!

[Open in new window]

And the lictyrant more or less has arms now! I gave up on trying to sculpt the second arm to match the first, so I just powered on with the first and made a cast of it! My sculpting's not super symmetrical but I doubt it'll be noticeable once attached to the model.

[Open in new window]

The arm is more or less a smaller version of the tervigons front legs, with the claws from trygon prime mandibles. I intend to find some suitable claws to make a three pronged end, and there's a bit of sculpting work needed to tidy up the cast!
Once this pair of arms is complete, I think the lictyrant will be ready to paint at long last! And I may have just primed a smaller brother for him which I hope to paint next week if I can find the time.

Edit: I'm so sorry Yaleling, only half of your comment loaded before so there wasn't anything much to reply to!

The smaller hands on the broodlord were a bit of a cop out at first, as I couldn't be bothered to make anything better, but they've certainly grown on me, so I'll call them an accidental stroke of genius ;)
Glad you like the Harpy's head, I believe it was Hyrdra who always argued that tyranids need more variety in head shapes, and I totally agree that the carnifex design just doesn't cut it for everything! This may be a copy of the Harridan's head design, but I honestly can't think of anything better for a flying 'nid (I have to convert a brood of gargoyles and shrikes to match now, don't I?)
As for the flight stand hole... I shudder every time I see one of those horrible flight stands, so while I don't have anything specific in mind yet, I will find some alternative way of basing it! I keep flirting with the idea of the harpy flying over/past a capillary tower or spore chimney, so maybe I could find/buy/sculpt one and attach it somehow.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:59 pm 
Biotitan

(exits lurk mode)

I hear ya on those dumb flight stands! I found a cheap solution at a dollar store. I got some clear plastic champagne glasses and cut the cup off the stem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:24 am 
Big One

Thanks KrewL, I knew I had seen it somewhere before, i searched for yours and what an improvement! I'll keep it in mind if I can't work out a decent bit of scenery to attach it to :)

It's been a busy month for me, which has sadly left little time for models :( Managed to snatch a couple of hours to paint this guy though!

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

This lictor has been painted, torn apart, reposed, painted, torn apart, reposed, painted etc etc. more times than I can remember, and the metal really shows the scars... I smoothed some of the worst damage, but frankly I just wanted to get it painted!
The rending claws come from either new warriors or ravenors, the original metal ones got lost somewhere along the line, but these are a pretty good fit so I'm happy. I'm not entirely convinced about the fleshy colour for the tentacles, so I'm glad I've painted this guy now before I get to the lictyrant (definitely my next priority, not a lot of sculpting left on that guy... just need to find the time!)

comments etc welcome, and apologies for the poor photos as usual!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:39 am 
Little One

frankendoodle65 wrote:
... I'm not entirely convinced about the fleshy colour for the tentacles, so I'm glad I've painted this guy now before I get to the lictyrant ...

Tendrils - Maybe a paler pink with a red in the recesses / shadowed areas? I always think of those feeder-face bits as wetter and softer, for what it's worth. The new warrior claws substitute in nicely; I'd have missed that if you hadn't pointed it out. Cheers, Frank - Looking forward to seeing the Big Guy :D

"The Call of Cthulhu" (Lovecraft, 1928)

Post subject: Re: Frankendoodle's WIP - small update...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:28 am 
Medium One

lovely job mate. I love the contrast between the pink/purple skin and the blue vents, it really pops....MOARRRRR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:46 pm 
Big One

Oh yeah, your sculpting on the Harpy is very smooth. Well actually on everything in general... Your carapace lines are really well done. Also, really nice paint! Not surprised Nard is a fan, that's a fine pink!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:31 pm 
Big One

I think the psychic beacon of a genestealer infestation has stirred something, the hive fleet slowly wakes...

[Open in new window]

Hopefully more to follow soon at my trademark snail pace. I need to at least finish this guy before I'm flooded with genestealer hybrids...

Cfoolhu, I may play with the 'blood for the blood god' technical paint when I paint the tentacles, that may give more of the soft/wet red you suggested.

Thanks nard and nuklear for the comments.

I need to post more around here, sorry guys...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:07 am 
Big One

frankendoodle65 wrote:
I need to post more around here, sorry guys...

No worries, all the posters here are guilty too! Hopefully, as you said, the new Cult minis rev up the activity a little. I know my kit is already half-assembled...

Hope to see more from you soon!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:19 am 
Big One

Thanks pekel, I think the lack of enthusiasm for tyranids is pretty apparent all over the Web these days, which sometimes makes it a little hard...

Anywho, onto business!

The lictyrant is finished! About time, huh?

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

And here he is with little brother!

[Open in new window]

He has a dreadnought base, but despite being fairly detailed looks pretty darn plain now it's painted up, as it's really only the one texture - rock... If anyone has any suggestions on jazzing it up that would be appreciated.

I've made a start on the genestealer cult too. I deliberated a lot over how to paint them, and considered trying to tie in my usual colour scheme, but decided to stick with the gamesworkshop scheme because I've always had a soft spot for the old school genestealer colours, and it's not too much of a stretch to say my 'nids have evolved and changed colour in the time since the genestealers were sent ahead to do their thing.

[Open in new window]

I had a bit of trouble with the skin, you can probably tell it looks a little rough in places. I found it hard mixing in the subtle hints of blue and purple, so that'll take a bit of tinkering to figure out on the rest of the guys, but hey ho.
I'm very pleased with their bases, just some quick industrial/mining bases I whipped up, but they suit the models nicely. Time to make 40 more now!

I have big plans for the 'patriarch' (seriously? It's just a Broodlord with spikes!) so that may or may not come to light in the next... 3 years? Does that sound reasonable for me?

Post subject: Re: Frankendoodle's WIP - lictyrant complete!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:29 pm 
Great Devourer

Woah that's good Frankendoodle!
I know the thread is about the lictyrant, but at first glance I honestly thought I was looking at an actual lictor. All of the details are great.

I'm loving the cultists too.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject: Re: Frankendoodle's WIP - lictyrant complete!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:18 am 
Big One

Oh, yes, a lictor on steroids!
Thats a really cool model you´ve got there.

Why not try to write some rules up for him and ask your gaming group for "legalisation"??

I love the worn gear of the right cultist, looks pretty fitting for some mining based models.

hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next