Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: No more grins - the carnifex
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:45 pm 
Big One

This update is long, long overdue, and for that I apologize. Between computer difficulties, DIY in the new house, work and my girlfriend deciding we should start watching game of thrones (spoiler: It's addictive as hell!) I've had very little hobby time, and little opportunity to post here on the forum.

Anyway, apologies aside, thank you so much for all the comments guys, it all means so much to me and it's given me a lot of motivation not to give up on this guy, even when everything seems to be going wrong (more on that later).

Harald, magnetizing was a great idea, it allows me to stick with my vision for this guy without worrying about the vague possibility of actually playing a game one day. I doubt I'll make/paint other weapon options for a long while, but you're right that i at least have the option now.

Terrorfex, I can't imagine devourers looking anything other than hilarious on this guy! could be a fun challenge to sculpt up some giant devourers though...

Yaleling, never thought I'd have another bloke comment on my legs, but I'll take what compliments i can :lol:

Bugsculptor, a stonecrusher version would be sweet, but doesn't fit my third edition theme much! Maybe the next one :wink: now crushing claws sounds interesting, maybe i'll have to magnetize his head too so I can turn him into old one eye...

Mr_Pink, somehow all I can think of when you say 'The bomb' is Jesse Pinkman from breaking bad. In all seriousness though, your comment means a lot to me, I always look fondly back at your conversions in the gallery, and I've got to admit a little part of me hoped this project may be enough to bring you back to the great devourer... any plans?

Squiqsquasher, I'm tempted to try my hand at a giant venom canon, and as I said to bugsculptor above the crushing claws idea is also tempting me, so one day all of your suggestions may come to light for this guy.

Anyway, onto pictures. Everything's nearing completion, I just need to tidy up a few rough edges here and there and work out a decent base and it'll be painting time! (scratch that, I gave in a few days ago and painted the head...)

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

And here's a closeup of the sculpted barbed strangler compared to the old design, I tried to stay pretty faithful to the original design, but you may have noticed in one of the above images I added a maw to the end, because I've always hated the flat plastic end of the gun barrel...
[Open in new window]

At the beginning I mentioned things going wrong with this model, well...
1. the legs had to be removed and subtly tweaked about four times, and they're still not 100% perfect but I reckon I can fix that with a decent base (I've massively over compensated with a spare base for this image, which actually makes him lean the other way now!)
2. always deal with the legs of a model before sculpting a neck... when i came to dry fit everything, he was looking straight down at the floor! So as well as the leg adjustments mentioned above, his neck and head have been tweaked a few times.
3. tyrannofex arms are big. the barbed strangler arms are from the big tyrannofex gun, and i had to cut away so much material to get them to look vaguely proportional. This leads onto my next point...
4. magnets are not your friends. especially where big two handed weapons are involved. A massive gun will rotate, so now Mr carnifex is aiming at the ground - I reckon a well placed pin can help keep the gun up without resorting to permanently gluing it in place.

3.5? the gun arms need to be slightly re-positioned, as they don't currently fit quite snug enough in the shoulders, you can see a slight gape in some of the photos. No idea how this happened, as I carefully checked the positioning several times before joining the arms!

Apologies for the wall of text, this is a months worth of ranting all bursting out at once!

As usual, any comments are appreciated - I aim to have him primed by the end of the week so if there's anything you think I've missed now's the time to say! (and don't worry, the head is not attached, so it won't be hit by the primer!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:02 pm 
Medium One

Great work. I love head and the gun. The paint job on the head reminds me of a darker version of my own :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:19 pm 
Big One

Yep - magnet and pin combos are the key to non sagging heavy arms. I just magnetised my dimachaeron tentacle arm that way - pair of magnets, pin to line it up, then apoxie sculpt to pad the joint and encourage it to sit in the right place.

I love this conversion - the barbed strangler looks amazing. One thing I think might add to the overall composition is to bulk up the shoulder armour. The head is quite large (as it should be), but giving this guy more of a hunch on his shoulder would make him look more threatening, more heavily armoured and less bipedal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:54 pm 
Big One

Great work on upsizing the barbed strangler.
Where is the mouth/muzzle bit from?
I´ve seen it before but can´t remember which kit it comes with.

hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:19 pm 
Great Devourer

frankendoodle65 wrote:
Yaleling, never thought I'd have another bloke comment on my legs, but I'll take what compliments i can :lol:
Hey, I just call 'em like I see 'em. :P

I always think that it is hard to tell how a sculpt or conversion will turn out until it's basecoated. And painted, I think the head is flawless. (b~_^)b
frankie wrote:
And here's a closeup of the sculpted barbed strangler compared to the old design, I tried to stay pretty faithful to the original design, but you may have noticed in one of the above images I added a maw to the end, because I've always hated the flat plastic end of the gun barrel...
[Open in new window]
I have a real fondness for the old barbed strangler and I think you've replicated it well.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:44 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

That is some really smooth sculpting, frankie. Kudos!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:12 pm 
Big One

Time spent on the big retro-Strangler was well-spent. It definitely completes the look of the retro-Fex!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:25 am 
Biotitan

I love the retro strangler too. Even though the new Warrior kit comes with a new design, I refuse to take the old ones off lol. I also would not want to get headbutted by that fex, talk about ouch!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:51 pm 
Big One

I am not good at keeping things updated here, I promised the weekend so I'm about 4 days late?! Sorry!

Thanks again for all the comments everyone.

Nard, its funny you say that because I always think of yours as a lighter version of mine! Pink/purple tyranids are definitely the way forward!

Bugsculptor, you're spot on about the shoulders, they looked pretty puny! I've bulked out the armour a bit now and it looks a a lot better, thanks for the idea.

Harald, the mouth on the barbed strangler comes from the funny terrain piece in the genestealler box.

Thanks Yaleling, hopefully the rest will look as good painted!

Thanks vonny.

Pekel, glad you think so, it took way too long sculpting the gun!

Krewl, I totally agree, third edition may have been a bit hit or miss design wise, but there are a few things they really got right, and the barbed strangler's one of them, I can't stand the new design! Yeah, the horns pretty freaking massive I know, I just love the thought of him charging headfirst like a rhino.

Picture time! I think he's ready for priming now, so next time I have a day off work with good enough weather I can start painting!

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Its very difficult to get a photo that shows off the pose properly, but in person he looks like he's just come to a stop after charging into the ruined building and is looking to find the soldiers that were shooting at him a minute ago. Speaking of which, one's just here...

[Open in new window]

Why's he wearing a gas mask? Well, here's what happened to the
last guy who didn't...

[Open in new window]

And the whole base:

[Open in new window]

The orange card squares will be painted up as tiles in case anyone's wondering.

I've also been tinkering with something else recently. I had a pretty beat up metal hive tyrant lying around, his face had been chopped off years ago for something... Can't remember what! Anyway, the chimneys on his back were pretty mangled, so I cut them right down (still needs gap filling and smoothing), then I realised how similar the tyrants body is to a lictor, so...

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

He'll have a small pair of mandibles either side of the tentacles. I haven't quite decided how far to push the giant lictor idea - I like the idea of a tentacled swarmlord so he may end up with boneswords, but giant mantis claws would be pretty awesome too... Any ideas?

Just realised i forgot to crop these pictures, so sorry for all the massive photos of my desk! Comments and criticisms would be great on both models, so far you guys have been awesome so let's keep it up! Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:11 pm 
Biotitan

You can make some killer mantis claws out of Tervigon forelegs and Hive Tyrant thighs. Here's how I did it:

[Open in new window]

They are pretty huge on a Tyrant though lol

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:40 pm 
Big One

Wow, they are pretty massive, awesome though! If bits sellers in the UK kept decent stock of tyranid parts I'd be tempted to grab some tervigon legs and start enlarging my tyrant to fit! May have to be more of a custom job on the claws this time though...

Any who, a lictor tyrant would need a bad ass set of rending claws, so how's this?

[Open in new window]

They're from the new broodlord from the death storm box, and they're huge! I think they may actually be a bit too big for this guy, but I'll keep them aside and see how they look when I whip up some mantis claws to gok with them. Of course, if I do go with these I'll need new arms for the broodlord, 'this a vicious cycle!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:51 pm 
Little One

Now that I can get behind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:33 pm 
Biotitan

I feel those claws are a perfect size for megalictor!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:37 am 
Great Devourer

[Shakes fist in mock outrage]
Damn you Frankendoodle65! I've been slowly working on a hive tyrant/lictor for about 2 years. Now you've come in and not only will you finish yours first, it is going to look about 18 times better than mine ever will! :P
[/mock outrage]

More seriously, the head looks great, and I can hardly believe the broodlords claws look over-sized on a tyrant body. :shock:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:53 pm 
Big One

Haha... my dimachaeron lictor is bigger than your tyrant lictor. Size isn't everything though - this looks like it'll be a great model.

Looks great though, and those broodlord talons look about right, even if you're starting to mix quite stealerish archetypes into the lictor genepool. Are you going to shave the stealer "tabs" off the upper arms or leave them in place?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next