Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Frankendoodle's WIP - lictyrant complete!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:55 pm 
Big One

Long time no see, my tyranid mojo has been non existent for a long time now... However, its always possible to be lured back to the hive mind, and that time has come!

So onto the carnifex. After drooling over Mr Pink's and Bocks' updated screamer killers for the 20 millionth time, I decided I had to get a slice of that cake, but with my own personal nostalgia. Enter the 3rd edition smileyfex, my favourite tyranid until it was blown out of the water by the plastic carnifex in... 2004?

I started much the same way as Mr Pink, by chopping up the barrel chest to create a broader torso, I removed the back chimneys to better fit the 3rd edition look, and I sculpted in some big plates on the chest as a half way house between the rib design of the new tyranids and the solid chest plate of the 3rd edition 'fex. The head comes from a tyrannofex with a lot of sculpting work and knife work.

[Open in new window]
[Open in new window]
[Open in new window]
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Still loads to do as you can see, but I'm getting somewhere! It's getting to the point now that I could really do with some feedback - should he be hunched over like the old metal model, more upright or in a more dynamic charging position? I'm also a little unsure about how to approach the abdomen/pelvis area, I don't know how faithful to the original I should make it - I could adjust the plastic part or sculpt something from scratch to closer match the old piece. Any feedback/ideas/suggestions would be great, thank you.

Last edited by frankendoodle65 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: No more grins - the carnifex
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:26 am 
Little One

Holy wow. Nice work indeed!

The attitude / angle of the torso in the 4th pic looks about right to me. I'd be inclined to go for a more static pose; Smiley surveying the battlefield, scything talons relaxed and open, and/or bio-cannon lowered (not yet engaging a target.)

You'll emulate the stumpy tail from the original model? The hip and leg posture of the 4th ed. model is pitched forward in movement. I would think that if you were to use / modify the 4th ed lower portion, you'd want to set the hips a little more upright ... might need to repose one or both of the legs ... might be easier to replace the hip section altogether.

Cheers, sir - Looking forward to seeing more of that beast (b~_^)b

"The Call of Cthulhu" (Lovecraft, 1928)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:56 am 
Great Devourer

It's good to see you again frankendoodle65, and great that you've got the mojo back. :)

I love this project and everything you've done already. :D (The only reason I didn't reply earlier is you inspired me to go and work on my half done 3rd ed carnifexes.)

frankendoodle65 wrote:
...Still loads to do as you can see, but I'm getting somewhere! It's getting to the point now that I could really do with some feedback - should he be hunched over like the old metal model, more upright or in a more dynamic charging position? I'm also a little unsure about how to approach the abdomen/pelvis area, I don't know how faithful to the original I should make it - I could adjust the plastic part or sculpt something from scratch to closer match the old piece. Any feedback/ideas/suggestions would be great, thank you.

I think the hunch is partly what defines the model, even if running would look dead good. The plastic carnifex's torso already sits at much the same angle as its ancestor, so I think it's because the smileyfex's pelvis is more upright that makes it look hunched. Adding the chitin armour to the pelvis would be cool too.

I'm less sure about the stubby tail. It would be faithful to the original, but I reckon tyranids look better with tails. I'd skip the odd feet, the current ones match the rest of the range and don't need to link to screamer-killer.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:21 am 
Biotitan

That beast looks awesome :D

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:28 am 
Monstrosity

I'm a big fan of the closed-mouth look. Mawlocks and Tervs also look especially menacing when not roaring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:48 pm 
Big One

Looks really promising.
I would go for the hunchend look.
But i would also do a longer tail version and legs like on the actual model.

hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:43 pm 
Big One

Yaleling, it made me grin that I inspired you to get the old fex's out, make sure you get them on the forum so I can see. I've been meaning to check out your thread by the way, but there are so many pages I need to find a good chunk of time for it - I've been VERY, VERY slowly catching up on warpshadow this week...
I think you're spot on that the hunch defines the model, so if I'm doing this right the hunch has to stay. As for the stubby tail, I've figured out what I think is a good compromise on that, which you'll see when I get around to posting new pictures (hopefully tomorrow).

Cfoolhu, the legs need a lot of cutting up anyway to add some height, so reposing them hasn't been too much of an issue. I'm having a bit of an issue with the waist/hips though, so you may be right that the movement of the plastic kit is too much to reconcile... I'm trying though, and I'll have pictures up tomorrow with any luck to show how it's going now.

Snapdragon, the closed mouth was just a reference to the old metal model, but I can definitely see myself doing it again on future tyranids, and its such a simple conversion.

Harald and Terrorfex, thanks for the comments guys.

Slightly off topic, but the forum's definitely quieter than I remember a few years ago, I guess I'm not the only one who lost interest in gribbly 6 limbed space dinosaurs...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:00 pm 
Big One

Looks like it's off to a great start! As has already been said, the closed mouth is unique and looks great on large Tyranids.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:44 pm 
Big One

Thanks a lot Pekel.

Time for my promised photos. Still a way to go yet, but there's been progress. I've filled in the neck, which combines the look of the old model with the newer tyranids aesthetic - I'm really quite pleased with it too! I wanted to keep the head a separate piece for painting, so sculpting all of this was a nightmare, it involved a lot of checking and minor adjustments, but I'm happy with it now and the head still isn't attached!

[Open in new window]
[Open in new window]

Next up is the legs/hips, which I'm making reasonable progress with. The legs have been lengthened in two places to fit the massive body, and I've added a second smaller hoof to each foot to mimic the smileyfex. The new hooves are only roughly shaped so far, detail will come later, and one leg is obviously a lot further along than the other.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I don't have a photo of the whole model together as I didn't want to risk damaging any wet putty, but he's in a fairly static hunched position, just turning slightly to the right as though seeking out a new target (might explain why positioning of the legs look a little funky in the photo).

I don't play the game any more, but always like my models to be game legal and at least vaguely useful on the off chance I fancy a game one day, so does anyone have any suggestion on weapons? I was thinking barbed strangler and scything talons, which somehow fits the spirit of the old model in my eyes while also allowing me to use the deathstorm rules if I so choose (though chances are we'll be in 9th edition before I play another game and those rules will be obsolete!).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:51 pm 
Big One

The work on the neck and legs looks amazing.
Keep going that way!

Weapon load out is hard to say.
If you just go for style, barbed strangler and scytals would be the way to go.
But if you plan to use him in games it might be a good idea to give him a set of
magnetized weaponarms.
You don´t have to do all arms right no. But just leave you that option open.

hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:47 pm 
Biotitan

Man this project kicks ass! Cant wait to see the beast finished. AS for weapons: Magnets would be a good choice since weapons can change from codex to codex. Best viable way to play right now are two Dual Devourers.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:22 pm 
Great Devourer

Your carapace, neck and first leg looks brilliant . :)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 pm 
Big One

In game, agree the best viable way is dual devourers. It makes for a very useful close fire support unit that can take out transports and be a nasty counter assault unit.

The other fun alternative, especially given your smileyfex, is to think of a way to make it a FW stonecrusher. They're great in game for tearing up vehicles (and knights!), with d3 S10 AP2 impact hits and good CC weapon options. A big pair of crushing claws would look great, and you could figure out a way to make a wrecking ball, that's the best load out as it hits every model in base to base contact.\\

Strangler and scytals is still a usable unit, but a little less flexible and useful than the above. Crushing claws would look great, for some reason I always picture that 3rd ed carnifex with them.

I love how this is looking, excellent work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:26 am 
Screamer Killer

This is, absolutely, THE BOMB DOT COM!

It makes me so, so, SO happy that you're doing it. THANK YOU!

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:04 pm 
Little One

I love this- it's looking pretty awesome.

Regarding loadout, double Scything Talons, Scything Talons + Stranglethorn or Crushing Claws + Heavy Venom Cannon would be my preferred look. Or a Stonecrusher as Bugsculptor mentioned.