Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Project Biggun: Building a Better Tervigon/Tyranofex
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 pm 
Screamer Killer

Alright,

As folks like Hellric and Yaleling have been commenting on my lack of activity on the board these days (well, realistically, for a good long while now!), I figured I should get out of my arm chair, bust open the $400 worth of model kits that have been sitting, collecting dust since February 2010, and get to work on some of the ideas that have been shoring up in my noggin.

Anyone who was around when the new Nid dex came out will know that I've got a bit of a chip in my shoulder when it comes to Tervigons and Tyranofexes and how unexciting it is to think of using an only mildly modified carnifex to represent these models. No hate on people who have used carnifexes, it's just that I'm addicted to revolutionary new Tyranid concepts and designs. These two new powerful units present such excellent opportunities for creating unique creatures unlike anything we've seen before. We're supposed to be one of the most evolutionarily advanced and varied races out there, so why not come up with some variance?

Additionally, when you compare the stats of the Carnifex, Tervigon, and Tyranofex, it's clear that the later two have so much more in common with each other than they do with the former. So how could a carnifex possibly stand in for them?

Anyway. Enough ranting. I figured I'd finally put my models where my mouth was and create my own concept for a creature that these two beasts could be evolved from. If all goes well, I'm figuring it could even be a mini/scout-biotitan basis for old creatures like the Malefactor, Haruspex, Exocrine, and Dactylis.

That being said, I couldn't do it all by myself. I needed a good concept sketch, and I haven't seen one finer than the one Bocks did a while back when coming up with an idea for a desluggified Malefactor:

[Open in new window]

Monsieur indeed.

I loved this sketch from the moment I saw it. Big, bulky, the potential for lots of heavy armour, a nice "S" body shape, some giant miasma/bio-vents, and a unique spine projecting out the back of the beast that could mount all manner of transport racks/ammo stores/incubating termagaunts.

Just beautiful. With some slight modifications, it would be PERFECT as either a Tervigon or a Tyranofex.

So I've finally come to the actual creation of the creature. I false-started last year, right after I received the new Trygon kit in the mail, by putting the tail section together and bending the crap out of it in some boiling water. When I came back to it this year, I continued my work on further curving the body forward to produce that nice S shape from Bocks' sketch:

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I cut between the back armour plates and inserted sprue spacers to wedge the tail section into a curve.

I also sought to expand both the tail section and torso to not only give the creature a size boost but also to make room for the extended, horizontal spine that Bocks drew and some further modifications I'll be making to the front of the beast specifically to accommodate Tyranofex weapons or the Tervigon's birthing apparatus.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

While we're on the subject of my Pet Peeves, one of my biggest is when people model giant nids that are meant to be skittering around on their scything talons and nothing else. Sure, it's a necessary evil with something as massive as the Heirophant (and it looks alright on that model); however, there's no way you're going to convince me that thing can walk around on anything other than concrete without embedding itself up to the elbows.

What do I suggest as an alternative for a big beastie like a tervigon or a tyranofex?

Hooves. Hooves and claws. They work for the Carnifex and the Tyant. Why not these big boys, too? What I drew from Bocks' sketch is a large or multi-hooved/clawed pad for the creature's feet. Think of it like an elephant's foot, except with a little more crush and a little more slice.

I particularly like the kind of "bell-bottomed" style of the lower legs in Bocks' sketches, and I like how this larger lower leg leaves room for some heavy armour. I've always been an advocate of heavily armoured nids.

When trying to find an existing bit that would best fit this bell-bottomed, armoured shin, I gravitated towards the armoured carapace backs of models like warriors and raveners as they were already tapered in the right sort of way. While the ravener's back carapace is pretty much the most heavily armoured, most bad-ass armoured shin a big stompy monster could ever want, I didn't think it too economically feasible to cannibalize two of three torsos in a ravener sprue to make one Tervigon/Tyranofex. I was already aiming to use most of a Trygon and Carnifex on this project. That was expensive enough.

So, instead, I have used a gargoyle torso, combined with a pair of random armoured bits that naturally occur in the Trygon kit:

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

And as hooves don't grow on trees, particularly when you're thinking of using three separate hooves on each of the front two feet, I had to improvise. Pouring over the Trygon kit, I found that my solution lay in the beast's talons. As I didn't intend to use any talons on my finished beast, I was free to tear the ones in the kit apart.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I know it's just a mock-up at this point, but the possibilities are getting me REALLY excited. Now I just need to figure out a leg to mount it on...

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

My main concern right now is the beast's legs/locomotive forearms. I feel like I've seen all kinds of amazing solutions from board members when it comes to bit substitutions for lengthening and widening carnifex legs/shins, but I can't remember where I saw them. Thus, I'm hoping for you folks' help if you could share any pictures of your projects or projects you've seen that have modified carnifex legs to be longer or beefier. Beefication of nid arms would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

Post subject: Re: Project Biggun: Building a Better Tervigon/Tyranofex
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 pm 
Biotitan

Now THAT is an ingenius use of bits to make hooves!

I Spent 90% of My Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:01 am 
Hydraphant

This is a public announcement:

PEOPLE: RUN FOR YOU LIVES!!! LEAVE CHILDREN AND WOMEN BEHIND IF NEEDED!!!
HE IS BREEDING AGAIN!!!

Honestly... did the fallout reach you? :P

But now truly honest: The leg is pure beauty! Really really nice! can't wait to see where this is all going :D

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:02 am 
Lictor

Whoopsy Daisy,
you lured me back to WS only to say:

That foot is bloody gorgeous...but I wouldn`t want to be the one having to do manicure on it.... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:44 am 
Medium One

I will give you an A for every level of awesomeness you have reached with that foot
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*9000

Seriously, It's awesome. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:44 am 
Medium One

That's a mighty hoof indeed!

Can't wait to see what pops out next

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 am 
The Red Terror

Mmm looks delicious.

Glad you're back in a productive mood Pinky. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:36 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

*swoon*

I believe I'm in love with that front foot...

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:27 pm 
Winged Hive Tyrant

Yeaaaah he's back from hell, and with hellish ideas and creativity. Already in love with this critter :)

EDIT : hey, it looks like this topic is the rendez-vous of the venerable old glories of this board ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:49 pm 
Great Devourer

The use of that scything talon top bit as a hoof is inspired Mr Pink. :D And I love the upside down warrior back carapace to 'up armour' and widen the shins. It fits perfectly and looks great.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 pm 
Screamer Killer

Thanks kids! I'm glad I could get you going with just a foot, but now I think I'm duty bound to provide something a little more exciting. Unfortunately, I've been away this past weekend (Mmmm. Onsen.), so I've only made marginal progress on the model.

One idea I had was to take a cue from my previous gunbeasts (exocrine, dactylis) and add some kind of claws to the foot that would help support a Tyranofex when it was winding up to fire its massive weaponry. The smaller, hooked genestealer talons seemed like the obvious choice:

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

And here's the mocked-up pair of front feet:

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Am I the only one who thinks they look like some kind of heavily-armoured, creepy little rippers?

I'm pretty happy with the look of them right now, but I still need to figure out the leg/arm that I'm going to mount them on the end of :? Any photographic help from folks on how they managed to create alternative, beefier arms or legs for their Monstrous Creatures would be very much appreciated.

Oh, and in case you have the same brain fart as I did, I wanted to caution people that bluestuff and blutac should not be confused. Though using the blue component of greenstuff to mock-up a model will give you amazing ability to pose it, it will also leave you with a hell of a mess to clean up :cry:

[Open in new window]

The only other progress I made was giving a little more thought/work to the rear leg concept. Here is a very poor mock-up of the miscellany of bits I'm looking to combine into the rear legs.

[Open in new window]

And, whereas I seem to be building the fore legs/arms from the foot up, I'm having the opposite problem with the back legs whereby the closer I'm getting to the actual "foot", the hazier my ideas of how to tackle it. The feet on Bocks' sketch are so very lovely an bell-shaped (giving them a hefty, stable look). It's something I definitely want to capture in the finished model. Again, advice on how to proceed would be very much appreciated. Right now I'm rolling around some idea involving warrior carapaces...

Hydra wrote:
Honestly... did the fallout reach you?

No. I'm fortunate to be placed very far in the north of Japan, more than 800km from the Fukushima plant, so I'm still feeling pretty safe...despite my mother constantly having fits about how I'm a gunna die.

Hellric wrote:
hey, it looks like this topic is the rendez-vous of the venerable old glories of this board.

Sadly, not all of them. I don't want to bring anyone down, but I was the victim of a particularly strange twist of fate when I was informed today that one of my best friend's mother's had succumb to cancer last Friday. I had this odd niggling feeling, went back through my emails, and--sure enough--it is one year to the day from when I got the email about Accommodator. It really creeped me out, and I think I'll just sleep through April 4th next year.

Yaleling wrote:
The use of that scything talon top bit as a hoof is inspired Mr Pink. :D And I love the upside down warrior back carapace to 'up armour' and widen the shins. It fits perfectly and looks great.

Thanks! However, Yale, it's not actually a warrior carapace: it's an armoured bit that exists on the Trygon sprue. Here's some pictures to compare it to a warrior carapace, as well as a reference pic to show where it comes from and what it looks like before getting hacked up.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:28 am 
Medium One

You'r modeling skills are L33T indeed, Mr. Pink. This is the first time I've seen you model, but my jaw is already six feet under. For the back legs you could buy the garnifex stone crushing claws they sell on forge world. Yet I would understand that you would not like to waste so much money. I don't know much about modeling such big things, but you may get some inspiration from the batle fleet gothic board. There are some good conversions there that might inspire you. (b~_^)b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 am 
Biotitan

Oh the inspiration, I might be able to make the front legs to my T-Fex now. I have warrior and carnifex hooves lying around and originally I was just gonna use crushing claws for hooves. Gotta start thinking outside the box a bit with nids and your creativity sure helps inspire!

As for the blue stuff, that has happened to me before too lol!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 am 
The Red Terror

I was just looking through my bitz looking for ideas and it cam to me, what about the plastic Ravener hips? Flip those upside down, and snip athe part after the first 4 carapce pieces and you have a cool bell-bottom like thing with some arches on the front (which you can also snip off), clip the ball-joint off and put the hooves there and you can even put some small grip claws (think Hive Tyrant) where the Raveners lower Scytals would be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 am 
Big One

Mr. Pink, Your work is outstanding to say the least. Quick question on your Exocrine that you linked to. What is the whate material that makes up the core of the gun?

Hive Fleet Antiquitus