Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PoM from Warrior WIP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:41 pm 
Little One

I have started building a Parasite of Mortrex (PoM) made entirely from Warrior parts. Why warrior parts? Well, the PoM is not a monsterous creature. I am using a 3rd ed. Hive Tyrant as a Tyranid Prime, so I thought it should be about the same size.

I first drilled an pined the a warrior torso and hips/tail about 1.5-2 inches apart.

[Open in new window]

I then glued together (after a little trimming) the large carapace pieces from two 3rd edition monstrous weapons sprue (included in warrior box).

[Open in new window]

Now I need wings. Well, since I am out of work, buying some wings is out. Thinking of bat wings, I divided the 3rd edition monstrous weapons scything talons into 3 sections. These will be the spars in the bat wings, with webbing between.

[Open in new window]

Post subject: Re: PoM from Warrior WIP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:49 pm 
Little One

I felt that the PoM needed to have a longer tail than a warrior, so I cut the tip and added piano wire.

[Open in new window]

I then sculpted the extra torso with greenstuff (actually the old white/blue stuff because I was out of greenstuff). I added ribs and extended the sternum. I also added indentations to make the area below the ribcage to look more sinuous.

[Open in new window]

Next was to add the back spines on top of the torso extension. (sorry for the blurry photo)

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:54 pm 
Little One

So, next the PoM needed a tail. I again used green(blue/white)stuff to model the tail. It needs to be sanded smoother. I added small ventral wings to make it look better (IMHO).

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:08 pm 
Little One

Day 2
While waiting on the blue-white-stuff to dry, I decided I needed to do the wing spars to get a better idea on how to proceed. So I glued the wing spars on the arm.

[Open in new window]

With the wings dry, I dry-fitted the wings and various rending claws (3rd ed. monstrous sprue, Inquisitor genestealer, 4th ed. genestealers) and settled on the 4th ed. Genestealer rending claws. I decided to add Hormagaunt scything talons to the mid-limb location. I glued these on.

[Open in new window]

Now to base it. I decided to use piano wire instead of the fragile, clear, plastic base. I drilled a small hole in the center circle (see bottom of 40mm base), and bent the wire to try to keep it upright. I also drilled 3 holes in the base through other circles on the bottom of the base. Into these holes I inserted rare-earth magnets. Finally, I added some blue-white-stuff to help stabilize the riser wire. I also added small, flat magnets to the bottom of 3 rippers. I plan to use the rippers as wound markers for the PoM.

[Open in new window]

Time to dry. More later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:35 pm 
Biomass

Rlyehable here under a temporary account until the primary is reactivated.

Day 3

Added webbing to wings with hot glue gun. Also made secondary trim sails for the scything talons in the middle set of limbs. Mounted it and painted it. You can't see it in the photo, but the black has a dusting of red. This is why the wings look pink. The wire that I used to mount it with in the above folder was too flimsy for the model and kept bending (blue/white never cures and remains flexible). So, I remounted the PoM.
Finished.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:49 am 
Big One

I like how the wings turned out! The whole membrane is hot glue? One suggestion would be to use a wash over the model, to define the various details. Maybe old reliable Devlan Mud?