Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Warpshadow Table Build: The Infestation of Casavant Prime
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:03 pm 
Malanthrope of the Admins

"Destruction cometh: and they shall seek victory, and there shall be none."
It has been a year since the futile defense of Hill 241 Forward Firebase Echelon slipped from the defenders grasp. The invasion, while checked, was not halted.
And now the digestion of the planet has commenced in ernest.

Okay, so Games Day Toronto 2008 is in less than 3 weeks, and we thought: "Hey, why not make a table to show off the awesome talents and creative genius of those here on Warpshadow?" Only not really. As Mr_Pink's other terrain thread shows, ideas have been percolating almost a year. As have certain basic ground work. But a final theme was still outstanding.
Then someone sneezed. And a bacteriophage, a viral organism that destroys bacteria, was born. Only the bacteria to be destroyed was to be planet sized.

Vile plans were laid
Materials gathered

Accomodator's dental plan fails

Many hands were recruited:
Thantos hard at work
A new Phage Queen and Brother Pink were secured to slave in the dark mines.
Dig, Accommodator, Dig harder!
The evil Mastermind caught with his hand in the ... cookie jar?

And the phage spread:
Digestion organism
phage victim
It spreads
Atmosphere processer plantation
Atmosphere processor plantation overwhelmed

Okay, so the table(s), 4 2x4 sections are in Thanatos' garage drying. Not bad integration for part of one week-end...

Now get back to sculpting Mr_Pink!

The defenders thought they had one final chance to stay the spread of the digestion process long enough to finish evacuating. All they had to do was place a melta-bomb at the base of the atmosphere processors spewing out the toxic phage, which was protected by massive Tyranid fortifications and crawling with fanged and armored death. Simple, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 pm 
Great Devourer

Guys this looks brilliant! Good work to all of you.

I can't help but notice the name of the planet: Casavant Prime. Is this project named after Phage, the Shadow Admin? Or is the primogenator himself involved too? :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:12 pm 
Tyranid Squig!

Quote:
Is this project named after Phage, the Shadow Admin? Or is the primogenator himself involved too?

And what of this new Phage Queen?

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:18 pm 
Hatchling

This looks great, I really like the creep. Do you know what color you are going to paint it? I suggest a reddish color, an homage to Orson Welles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:23 am 
Hydraphant

Hurray for you guys. I stand up and take my hat!

3 Weeks is normally a time-span I would think twice if doing this. But the most amazing thing about this is the fact that you managed to get the snail-speed-workman Pink to do all that amazing sculpting so fast
O.O

Quote:
Now get back to sculpting Mr_Pink!

Seriously, give the boy a break and appreachiate a little more the work he did! This working pace is light-speed for him, so next time you two meet, give him a hug and be a nice boy and say thnak you! ;)

I wish you all the best and demand more pictures as the progress goes on!

PS: The Phage Queen and Brother Pink are the persons shown, guys. Don't get to over-happy ;) No new Nornqueen model! (although.... ;) )

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:09 am 
Screamer Killer

Yaleling wrote:
I can't help but notice the name of the planet: Casavant Prime. Is this project named after Phage, the Shadow Admin? Or is the primogenator himself involved too? :wink:

Fifteen cookies to Yaleling! Especially since I didn't think you were around that far back...

Yes, we decided to name the board after Michael J. Casavant--this forum's progenitor. Both Casavant Prime and the naming of the crawling, world sized Tyranid bacteria as "Phage" are nods to him and all the good work he did to give the Tyranid community a solid home on the net. Sadly, Phage is not involved since he stepped away from the hobby and the board a few years back (and since he lives in Ohio and we live in Toronto, Ontario).

That being said, once the board is finished and painted, we intend to try to rouse him from his slumber to see the work wrought in his name!

Thank you, Hydra. At last someone who appreciates what I'm putting myself through for this!!!

As Hydra stated, the Phage Queen is the friend of mine in the photo. She did the majority of the phage application over the weekend, and she did an absolutely amazing job of it with no previous experience in the hobby. Brother Pink in the photo with her would be my younger brother who was no less essential in the weekend build. We wouldn't have accomplished half of what we did without them.

Re: the colour of the Phage: I've developed a new colour scheme for the board that I based on the colour scheme from the Warpshadow logo (the purple and green one). Though our members are scattered across the globe, this is meant to be a Warpshadow project, we registered the name of our club as "Warpshadow," and so we will be painting the board in the arbitrarily appointed warpshadow colours.

As such, the phage will be violently green, which will mirror the colour that we have chosen to light up the Atmospheric Processors, reclamation pit, etc. This will also be a good colour for contrasting with the grey/brown earth of the city.

Also, if you click on one of the links ACC posted, and then click to the gallery the photos are hosted in, you will see that there are actually more photos he didn't link. Among these are some of the things I am most proud of, such as the way the Tyranid Fortifications I whipped up tower over the board, and the look of the half-finished crashed Mycetic Spores that have spewn out piles of Phage on impact.

I'm heading out to do some more work on the board tonight (mostly sculpting on more Niddy gribbly bits for the canal/spores), so I'll see if I can't snap some photos of the progress.

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:07 am 
Malanthrope of the Admins

Hydra wrote:
Seriously, give the boy a break and appreachiate a little more the work he did! This working pace is light-speed for him, so next time you two meet, give him a hug and be a nice boy and say thnak you! ;)
Oh, I do appreciate his hard work. Then again, you have set the bar for speed so high as everything else pales in comparison. The sculpting on Saturday night was amazingly quick - he was taking raw materials and churning out those drop pods one after the other....

And he does so enjoy a good prodding now and again. Keeps his mind on track and on focus. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:30 am 
Synapse Node

:D

I don't know what to say. I think the smiley says most of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:07 pm 
Hatchling

What are you going to be using for water? That clear hobby stuff? Because if you are I thought you might paint up some strands of phage/creep and mix it in with the water mix to look like the creep spreading into the river is being washed to other locations. Maybe even a submerged spore mine or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:07 pm 
Monstrosity

Wow, i cannot wait to see this thing when it is done. It looks great so far.

http://warhammer40kcreator.googlepages.com

"Joey doesn't share food!!!!!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:52 pm 
Medium One

What *is* that Phage stuff? As in, what's it made of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:30 pm 
Screamer Killer

It was Hydra's invention, and it is really quite complicated to accomplish:

PVA (with) Glue
+
Water
+
Kleenex/Facial Tissues/Tissue Paper
=
Phage

Hydra says that you should seperate every two-ply piece of tissue into it's two distinct pieces before dipping in the glue, but I found they kept rippind on me. The Phage Queen used whole pieces of tissue, and she accomplished some great things.

What's more, when I went to inspect the now-dry table last night, I found that where she had placed the thinnest strands of phage, stretched tight across two pieces of scenery, they were now rock hard with a toughness/consistency nearing that of rawhide.
I was _AMAZED_.

The perfect way to Niddify terrain and do it fast!

Thanks to everyone for their excitment with this project. It will definitely help to keep us all motivated as we work towards the June 21 ( :shock: ) deadline. Also, since Accommodator operates on the assumption that compliments are understood and voicing them is a waste for time, I am happy for any flowers anyone is sending our way :D

I went and added some more nid details to the board last night, but, in my tired state when I had finished, I forgot to photograph them. I have asked Thanatos if he can take some shots for me, but I don't know if he has yet. Suffice to say that the spores are more goopy now, and the canal has got some nid gunk growing in it...Not as much as I would have liked, but it's a start.

It also reminded me that one of my favourite parts of this project so far is giving other people the opportunity to be creative. Last night I was getting Thanatos to help me with the spore and river gunk sculpting, and he did a great job. Similarly, my friend The Phage Queen has no experience with the hobby, but she rocked the Phage, and she produced a passable Fortification (Accommodator just saw that it was done and similar to mine; my anal/exacting eyes detected all the flaws, so she's not exactly a natural...yet :wink: ). By the end of this, we might even inspired Accommodator to put down the tank brush {fingers crossed}.

AH! JacktheRipper! Why didn't you give us that awesome idea before!!!
We're using resin, and we haven't even begun to pour it yet, so I would love to incorporate some bits into the resin/the canal bed to make it look more Niddy.

So, I'll put it to you and the forum members: Give us some ideas of flock/confetti/small bits that don't require painting that we can easily incorporate into the clear resin to give it a creepy, infested feel. Something that looks buggy/sea creature-y, and, hopefully, something simple and readily available.

Any ideas?
Any of you?
How about you in the back? Yes, the lurker with the perfect idea for this project. Speak up!

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:42 pm 
The Red Terror

Mr_Pink wrote:
So, I'll put it to you and the forum members: Give us some ideas of flock/confetti/small bits that don't require painting that we can easily incorporate into the clear resin to give it a creepy, infested feel. Something that looks buggy/sea creature-y, and, hopefully, something simple and readily available.

Any ideas?
Any of you?
How about you in the back? Yes, the lurker with the perfect idea for this project. Speak up!

Well I don't remember who posted it (sorry) but it was a tutorial on how to make gelatinous cube monsters.

Anyways I remember in some of the Tyranid fluff that it mentioned gigantic ameobic creatures that lived within the Reclamation pools and dragged dead/dying victims that were close by, while also protecting the pool from attackers by spraying the reclamation acid itself.

Maybe using the tutorial, you could make an amalgous blob with 2 Adrenal Glands glued together as the nucleus dragging some hapless imperial guardsmen into their acidy deaths.

Also some Magma Corer holes would be interesting.
------------------------------

On another note. Thanks you guys. This is really cool and I'm sure everyone on Warpshadow is thankful, and happy that you're doing this.

I've never met any of you, and I've never been able to go to Gamesday Toronto, even though I live in Alberta. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to realize both of those things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 am 
Hatchling

Glad I could be of help. I was sitting at my computer idly waiting for a flyrant to dry and looking at some so the plastic spore mines from Battle of Mcragge that I never use, and thought to myself "If they are using that clear resin water stuff, they could paint up some spore mines real quick to sink into it." As a bonus, the mcragge ones already look like they are swimming, you'd just have to cut off the slotta base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:34 am 
Hydraphant

Quote:
So, I'll put it to you and the forum members: Give us some.. Something that looks buggy/sea creature-y, and, hopefully, something simple and readily available.

A package is on its way!

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."