Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Aliens & Predator pics (was tips for Giger alien painting)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:36 am 
Big One

Right - in a little over a week a friend of mine has organised a home grown Alien themed Space Hulk campaign set over the weekend. All the players have been drafted to help with various tasks, and I volunteered myself to take over conversion of an Alien queen and 20 alien drones. It's a one shot thing, so we probably won't be using the models again.

The sculpting and conversion phase is pretty much complete now and here's what I've got so far after about four sessions of work. With some help from other people assembling and chopping off stealer arms and filling in shoulders, I've sculpted 20 stealer heads onto 2nd edition stealers and made what I think is a recognizable facsimile of an Alien queen from a 3rd edition hive tyrant. Pics below - you'll have to imaging the other 18 alien drones are in shot.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I know there's lots more sculpting and converting I could do if I had the time to go to town on this and I also know that what I've already done looks a little rushed, as I'm normally a glacially slow perfectionist. However, I'm working as part of a team and taking all the help I can get, and I've had about 12 hours to get this far - it's a fun express project. If I had more time, the first thing I'd do would be figuring out how to get tails onto all the drones, but now it's time to slap on some paint or we'll be playing with unpainted apoxie sculpt in a week's time.

So here comes the cry for help... how can I get a good HR Giger paint job onto these guys in the tiny handful of hours I have left - I'm even away this weekend.

My current plan is:

1) Charadon granite spray to basecoat (I have an airbrush and compressor, so whew!)
2) Badab black wash to shade
3) I'm not quite sure how to highlight to get a good look over that, as I don't want them to look too grey. Maybe a light green drybrush.
4) Pick out teeth and end of the "headbiter mini-mouth" with boltgun metal and possibly mithril silver, to add a little biomechanoid charm.
5) Gloss varnish the heads, for that slimy look we all love.

If you can, I'd appreciate any help planning through these questions:

- Have any of you painted Giger-esque aliens before?

- How would you highlight them, keeping in mind I have zero time to blend anything onto 20 models at this point?

- Should they appear greenish, blueish etc?

- Are there any other really quick steps you think I could take to make them pop?

Finally, apologies if anyone is offended by the non-nid bugs.... but somehow ripping off Space Hulk to play Aliens feels so right, turnabout is fair play, eh?

Last edited by bugsculptor on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Painting tips please: "express" HR Giger alien conversions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:12 pm 
Great Devourer

Those quick conversions look great Bugscluptor. :D

- Have any of you painted Giger-esque aliens before?

- How would you highlight them, keeping in mind I have zero time to blend anything onto 20 models at this point?
    Necros alienids were highlighted with greys to finally a very, very fine metallic drybrush (or so I believe), then a pure black head case and gloss coat over everything. http://www.timkline.net/alienids/

- Should they appear greenish, blueish etc?
    I reckon this is a cool idea. It could add a tiny variation into each bug.

- Are there any other really quick steps you think I could take to make them pop?
    I can't think of anything you need beyond those great conversions you've done. :)

bugsculptor wrote:
Finally, apologies if anyone is offended by the non-nid bugs.... but somehow ripping off Space Hulk to play Aliens feels so right, turnabout is fair play, eh?
Who could possibly be offended by such coolness??

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 pm 
Trygon

FINALLY! MOre alienids that look like Xenomorphes.
Ok, first, I have no expirience with painting them but I have been tihnking a lot about how I would go about it as i want to convert an alien fex.
Highlgiht suggestions: First, black bacecoat of course. Next, heavy drybrush of a mix of 50:50 bestial brown to chaos black. Second, a lighter drybrush of pure bestial brown. Then a dust of a mix of bestial brown and Kommando khaki. Finally, add some black washes for gloss and till it reaches a nice brown/black mix. Sorry if this doesn't work out, I was basing it off of an alien picture I used as a ref. for some sprites http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MSX1iRymcBI/S ... 0model.jpg
Their have been many colors of the beast, some black, some brown. I prefer the brownas it is like an extra dash of spice. Its just my personal taste but I do not like the heavy use of gloss except maybe in purposeful slimy areas. Less gloss IMO looks better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:50 am 
Genestealer

The exoskeleton is very similar to the xenomorph's, and to paint it I:
Do a black basecoat
Heavy drybrush codex grey
Drybrush Fortress Grey
Do a heavy wash of Gryphone sephia (SP?)
And finally a nice thick coat of gloss varnish.

Hope this helps!

Look At My Tyranids

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:31 am 
Big One

Thanks for the tips - @Nidcron, the Gryphonne sepia wash could be a good thing to tie it together I'll try it on one of my test minis.

I think a slightly brownish grey highlight will work, and I might try some overbrushing of some light green/brown in key areas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:46 pm 
Tyranid Squig!

If you can get your hands on some actual GW blue ink, a very thinned wash of that would be good too.

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:31 am 
Big One

I can't get blue ink in the current timescales, but it's a really good tip. Here's what I'm reasonably happy with on my test minis:

Charadon granite base coat
Watered 50% badab black wash
Light drybrush shadow grey
Light drybrush snakebite leather
Watered 50% asurmen blue wash

The two highlights complement each other, with some organic light tones coming from both light brown and blueish grey. The Asurmen blue wash ties that back together and puts some cold colours back in the shadows.

It should still be fairly quick to get onto the twenty drones and queen, which are already basecoated and washed with the badab black.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:39 am 
Medium One

Regarding gloss, I would suggest thinning some of the clear gloss and giving the models a light drybrush with it.
This will give enough gloss to suggest that the model is glossy without without the gross exaggeration of a completely glossed figure.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:32 pm 
Big One

Thanks for the gloss varnish tip - I hate the thick layer look you get with gloss varnish, so I'll definitely try that out. I was thinking of maybe just trying a thin layer of citadel water effects on the head to make it glisten - has anyone had good experiences with that?

I've got a great book called "Giger's Alien" that I'm referring to throughout this that's basically HR Giger's production diary from the first movie. Interesting fact - after every scene in the original movie Giger had to basically repaint the suit, as they covered the suit in a tonne of glycerine to make it slimy and it dissolved his previous paint job.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:43 pm 
Medium One

bugsculptor wrote:
Thanks for the gloss varnish tip - I hate the thick layer look you get with gloss varnish, so I'll definitely try that out.

Forgot to mention that the drybrushing will put gloss on places that would naturally have highlights and will highlight the highlights as it were.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:09 am 
Big One

Sounds good - hopefully I'll have time to try it later on today.

I've had to put a light drybrush of codex grey over the top - the snakebite leather left the bugs looking a little too warm and leathery. With the blue wash and then the light grey drybrush I think they're looking pretty good. I'm not sure If I want to put another diluted badab black wash on to put some more black back in the shadows - I don't want to do that if it'll cancel the blue wash out, as that's looking really good now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:17 am 
Big One

Thanks everyone for your tips on the painting process. I'm now recovering from an intense weekend of gaming with our team of five space hulk veterans, which built up to a finale where my alien queen was ripped apart by colonial marine pulse rifle fire, a predator's combat blades and a badly damaged power loader. You'll be pleased to know she tore the predator apart before going down.

I had nothing to do with the modeling or design of this, but you may be interested to see the board for one of our missions, where four beautifully painted predators hunted down a team of colonial marines. With some tweaking Space Hulk rules work really well on a hex board. Predator honour points were awarded for the proximity and stealthiness of the kill(s) and we had to switch between vision modes to spot landmines and sentry guns dotted around the map.

Predator jungle mission:
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

A few spare hours after finishing off the xenomorphs gave me time to knock out a grotesque egg-laying sac made of apoxy sculpt over polystyrene, which fitted over the queen's tail and allowed her to detach and cause havoc after taking her first wound.

Aliens prepare to rush the corporal shutting down a malfunctioning fusion reactor (No pulse rifles... what are we supposed to use? Harsh language?):
[Open in new window]

So what's laying the eggs?
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

And yep, the power loader is a scratch-built miniature of extreme beauty by the same guy who painted up the predators.

Our GM (not me!) put in an amazing amount of time to design custom rules for everything, from figuring out how to adapt the game very simply for the hex jungle board, adding the genius "acid blood" dice, building and testing five player missions and project managing slackers through to completion of their chosen modelling tasks. This was a masterpiece of narrative gaming and every mission had something different to make the players learn and adapt while drawing on the core space hulk rules so we didn't have to sweat re-learning the basics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:40 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

this looks so truly awesome. Hats off to the converters, and especially to your GM!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:53 pm 
Great Devourer

bugsculptor wrote:
And yep, the power loader is a scratch-built miniature of extreme beauty by the same guy who painted up the predators.
:shock: That this is scratch built? I thought for sure it was some special release miniature I've not seen before.

But everything looks beautiful bugsculptor. I hope you and your mates are rightly pleased with the result. It looks like one of the finest gaming weekends I could imagine. Brilliant models built just for the event with rules and boards built for it too. (b~_^)b

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject: Re: Painting tips please: "express" HR Giger alien conversio
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:42 pm 
Biomass

vonny wrote:
this looks so truly awesome. Hats off to the converters, and especially to your GM!

Yeah, the pics look so cool! Better than anything I've made.